Recommendations for "identity management"?

AbsolutIggy

Dabbler
Hi,
I'm looking for help&tips in choosing what "identity management" pathway to go down.. at the moment, we have nothing. Being the one who has to take care of these things, but this not being my main job, means that I have an interest in something which works and is not overkill - ie more work to admin than necessary. I am definitely not an expert in the field, and I'm finding it hard to find the information I need to make a choice.

Our organisation is distributed in the sense that there is not one office, one company name, or even one domain name in common for everybody. Several users are only part-time members of our organisation, and have others as well. (There are partners operating under different names, with one parent, and external consultants). The total number of users is quite low, below 50.

We have several services which are run by the organisation - for various things like e-mail, file sharing, and web-based tools as well as connectivity (VPN).

Because of the way we are organised, a classical "domain" doesn't feel quite right. We can't always integrate all devices fully, so at least we can't take full advantage of a "Domain Controller" - and right now, setting security policies for each PC, sharing printers and setting startup scripts is not the main priority.

I want a system where a user can log in to all services with the same username and password. I've tested an OpenLDAP server, and some of the web services seem to be very straightforward to integrate there.

When it comes to file sharing, it's a bit more complicated - and that's where TrueNAS comes in. We use TrueNAS for file storage, and since most client computers (although not all) are windows-based, this means sharing with the SMB protocol.

Getting users into a test TrueNAS system from the LDAP server was straightforward - ssh auth worked, no problem. Once I added the Samba LDIF file from the Samba package, I was able to access the SMB shares using the user-names configured in the OpenLDAP server.

The documentation/GUI are a bit unclear about the use of "Samba Schema", as are various sources on the internet - OpenLDAP should no longer be used as a backend for the Samba DC is my take away, but not quite what the alternative is.

The questions I have remaining are:
  1. What is in the future for using LDAP for SMB authentication? As explained, I do not really want a DC..
  2. Is the "Samba schema" really being deprecated for LDAP access? Is this because of its support in the SMB client software?
  3. Are there any other recommendations on software to use instead of OpenLDAP? I am open to testing anything else (it should be open source)..
  4. Does anyone have any useful tips from a similar setup?
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts :)

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Looking for the same thing....But FreeIPA does not support Win clients ;-(

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What about Keycloak?

I am not quite sure if you can connect Samba directly to that. What we do is:

1. Active Directory for all "Windows" services.
2. Atlassian Crowd (commercial) as a "meta directory" that imports the AD as well as providing local users and other authenticators.
3. Currently migration Crowd integrated services to Keycloak which works quite well.

So what I don't know is if one can get rid of AD altogether, because we do not intend to. Using AD in combination with a "meta directory" is our way to go.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Thanks for your post- Well, it does not look like that it is possible to get rid of AD with Keycloak BUT this is what I am looking for !
Eg. Jumpcloud does it all BUT samba will drop the legacy ldap samba schema pretty soon and I was not able to get any information about their plans on this ;-( so I keep on searching for a solution ....

blanchet

Guru
Looking for the same thing....But FreeIPA does not support Win clients ;-(
You are right, FreeIPA supports only Linux and LDAP clients.

If you have Windows clients there are only two alternatives:
  • Microsoft Active Directory
  • Samba4 Active Directory
From a technical point of view, Samba AD works well and can replace MS Domain controller, but companies generally prefer to stay with MS AD because many software vendors supports only MS Active Directory.

And if you want to use Microsoft System Center to manage your fleet of Windows computers, you need MS AD.

Last edited:

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Yes I know that a Samba based domain controller works pretty well because I do run and maintain several of them since the early PDC days BUT I think it is more than time to get rid of them and I do not mean a switch to MS AD indeed ;-) !!

On prem. I also know these two options except the exotic hacky ones BUT I cannot believe that there are just this two options in broader perspective 2021....And is there really just Jumpcloud out there which still resides on ldap samba schema !?

No new approaches or open source pendants out there regarding Identity Management for Win, Mac, Linux clients ?

blanchet

Guru
There are several tools built on top of Samba4, like UCS .
But in my opinion, it is not as mature as MS AD

tiberiusQ

Contributor
I do not like the UCS approach trying to solve all needs in an old fashioned way.
I cannot see the benefit of being mature while the main idea behind is boring and antiquated.

Sry. but I do search for something new, progressive and contemporary for an obvious and still upcoming case of need.....Tricky task which probably does not yet exist.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes I know that a Samba based domain controller works pretty well because I do run and maintain several of them since the early PDC days BUT I think it is more than time to get rid of them and I do not mean a switch to MS AD indeed ;-) !!

On prem. I also know these two options except the exotic hacky ones BUT I cannot believe that there are just this two options in broader perspective 2021....And is there really just Jumpcloud out there which still resides on ldap samba schema !?

No new approaches or open source pendants out there regarding Identity Management for Win, Mac, Linux clients ?
No. This isn't a Classic Domain Controller. Since Samba4 was released, samba can function as an Active Directory Domain Controller.