Rebuilding FreeNAS server with Xeon -- Which mobo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicatrize

Explorer
For starters, here's my current system:
CPU: AMD A10-6700
Mobo: BIOSTAR Hi-FI A85W
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Non-ECC DDR3
Drives: 8x1TB Samsung/Seagate in RAIDZ2
Chassis: Chenbro RM42300-F server chassis (4U rackmount)
Freenas: Nightly 10. Running a single Ubuntu Server VM with many services: Plex, Ubiquiti Unifi Controller, Apache, and more...

So, it's kinda been a mish-mash process through the past 6 years I've been running FreeNAS, and it works very well. But I'm ready to upgrade, especially to Intel, since I'd like to use the UEFI bootloader support in FreeNAS 10 for a Windows Server VM. I'm going to upgrade the drives later, so for right now, my focus is on CPU/Mobo/RAM.

New setup:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v5 Skylake
RAM: 16GB(2x8GB) ECC DDR4 2133 (not sure which brand yet, need mobo choice first)
Mobo: Supermicro ?????

I was originally going to go for the E3-1245v5 to get GPU, but I figured it better to just save the $50 and give myself back the shared RAM usage.

As for the board, I think I've narrowed it down to two:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-O
SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O

I don't know which one to get! It looks like the only difference with the F version is that it has a dedicated IPMI LAN port. I haven't ever used IPMI before, but the prospect is intriguing. I definitely need on-board video, which unfortunately rules out a couple of the ATX form factor boards I was looking at.

So, first of all, am I going down a good path here? It's obviously a huge upgrade to my current box, but is it worth it to go bigger? Is the E3-1270v5 worth the extra $100? (It doesn't appear so)

Second, which mobo? :)

EDIT: Third: I want to run two 32GB SSDs mirrored for the boot drive. What's the best way to go about this? I can obviously get a cheap-o PCIe 2 port SATA card...is this recommended?

Last edited:
IPMI is extremely useful in that it allows you to run a headless system and control it remotely. I've got two systems sitting in the basement, and I can check CPU temperatures, fan speeds, etc from the home office, or even when on the road (logging in to the network via VPN). I can shut down, start and and reboot systems, get into BIOS during boot and make changes, etc.

In theory you can also temporarily mount a ISO image that is on another computer, for installations, etc. I say "in theory", because I've found this a bit hit and miss when controlling the system from macOS.

IPMI is highly recommended for most NAS use cases.

Cicatrize

Explorer
IPMI is extremely useful in that it allows you to run a headless system and control it remotely. I've got two systems sitting in the basement, and I can check CPU temperatures, fan speeds, etc from the home office, or even when on the road (logging in to the network via VPN). I can shut down, start and and reboot systems, get into BIOS during boot and make changes, etc.

In theory you can also temporarily mount a ISO image that is on another computer, for installations, etc. I say "in theory", because I've found this a bit hit and miss when controlling the system from macOS.

IPMI is highly recommended for most NAS use cases.
That's the gist I got from my research too. It sounds easy...plug it into the switch, and I can run the software anywhere on the network, right? Or is it more complicated than that?

No, it is pretty straightforward. You need to install IPMIView on the computer you will use to control the server, which implies you are running a compatible OS. Alternatively, you can install the iOS or Android apps on your phone or tablet.

This ServeTheHome article provides a pretty good overview.

Edit - correction - you can log into the server's IPMI via a web browser, and open the Java app from there, or use IPMIView on the client computer.

GBillR

Contributor
That's the gist I got from my research too. It sounds easy...plug it into the switch, and I can run the software anywhere on the network, right? Or is it more complicated than that?

It's that simple. No software necessary as it is a Java app.

And I second what @Kevin Horton says... IPMI made my build so much simpler. I was able to load the install iso in a virtual CD drive via IPMI and it woked fine.

GBillR

Contributor
No, it is pretty straightforward. You need to install IPMIView on the computer you will use to control the server, which implies you are running a compatible OS. Alternatively, you can install the iOS or Android apps on your phone or tablet.
I never installed the software. Just pointed my browser to the IP of the IPMI interface...

I never installed the software. Just pointed my browser to the IP of the IPMI interface...
You are correct. I forgot about the web interface. I edited my post.

mgk

Dabbler
As for the board, I think I've narrowed it down to two:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-O
SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O

Edit, just seen you spotted this anyhow, but hope the below is useful.

Hi

I think Supermicro boards without the -F don't get the IPMI, its an easy mistake to make. Check out https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/so-you’ve-decided-to-buy-a-supermicro-x11-board.13/ "A cost-reduced version without IPMI, X11SSM (no –F) is also available." & https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-motherboard-part-number-guide.17511/

Personally, having to rummage around a headless unit and attach a monitor, keyboard etc is a PITA. IPMI is a god send. I'm not sure what parts of the IPMI are licensed, my HPE system only lets you see the post for instance, without a license. There is a discussion about where to get codes here https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/source-for-supermicro-sup-ipmi-license-key.40527/, I saw remote bios update and thought that was ace.

Cicatrize

Explorer
Fantastic! Thanks for the help, guys. I'm definitely getting the -F model, then. My current setup isn't headless right now, but I'd like it to be, at least for FreeNAS. I have a KVM switch that goes into my FreeNAS box and my pfSense box. This requires sitting in my basement for any installs, which are common right now with the 10 nightlies. It's cold down there. :D

Will a cheap 2 port SATA card work fine for my striped boot volume?

GBillR

Contributor
Will a cheap 2 port SATA card work fine for my striped boot volume?

There is a ton of info on this in the Hardware Resources... I know some have gotten fairly "cheap" SATA cards to work, but I do not think they are recommended. The X11 board has the same number of SATA ports (8) as your current setup. What are you booting from now? If you are thinking you'll want more than the 8 ports, you might consider the X11 board that has the onboard SAS controller, or picking up a separate SAS board for under $100.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
No software necessary as it is a Java app.
Except a Java browser plugin is required, which many people avoid due to security issues.

Remote control of some things do not require this, like turning the system off or on, or setting some parameters. ipmitool can be used for these.

Cicatrize

Explorer
The X11 board has the same number of SATA ports (8) as your current setup. What are you booting from now?
I'm currently booting from a single USB3 stick. I have had countless issues with USB sticks over the years with FreeNAS, so I want to boot from dual SSDs.

GBillR

Contributor
Except a Java browser plugin is required, which many people avoid due to security issues.
I was under the impression that the basic IPMI login screen and sensor info, etc is all non-Java, but that the KVM console is a Java Application... not really a browser plugin. Is that not true? Not that an App can't be compromised, but it is an App that is downloaded from the IPMI flash right? I mean... what are the odds there that someone writes an exploit for it, and then uploads that to your motherboard?

Maybe I don't understand how it works.

Cicatrize

Explorer
Well, I placed the order. I ended up getting the E3-1240v5 instead. It was only $20 more.

Now I have a dilemma. I'm starting to think I should just keep running FreeNAS on my current box, and use the new build for ESXi with a FN storage pool. No offense to FreeNAS VMs, but VMWare is definitely superior.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You need to install IPMIView on the computer you will use to control the server, which implies you are running a compatible OS.
No need.
I was under the impression that the basic IPMI login screen and sensor info, etc is all non-Java, but that the KVM console is a Java Application... not really a browser plugin. Is that not true?
It is true. No browser-based Java and everything but the remote consoles is plain HTML+CSS+whatever.
Is that not true? Not that an App can't be compromised, but it is an App that is downloaded from the IPMI flash right? I mean... what are the odds there that someone writes an exploit for it, and then uploads that to your motherboard?
Let's not go there. Modern PC architecture is filled with binary blobs that sit very deep in the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.