Rebuild Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

razer86

Cadet
Just want to make sure I have things right in my head before going ahead.

I currently have a single vdev with 6x 2TB and 2x 4TB configured as z2 (The 4TB's have replaced some failed 2TB's)

I have also just ordered 3x 8TB WD Red's and want to migrate my data off of the existing devices to the new.
From my understanding I should be able to set a new vdev with the new drives in z1 and then assign them to a new pool. From there i can copy the data from tank_old to tank_new. Is there any preferred process for this?

Secondly, I have my jails setup on tank_old, but from what I've been reading, moving them to a separate ssd shouldn't be an issue if I follow https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ls-to-ssd-helping-hdd-sleep.16955/#post-89106.

Once the data has been moved to tank_new I should be able to remove tank_old and the z2 vdev, and re-purpose the physical disks. I would like the put the 2x 4TB's into a mirror and have that as a separate pool for Photo's/Doc's etc and setup a nightly backup to an external hdd.

With the remaining 2TB's, would there be any harm in setting them up as another z2 and adding that vdev to tank_new?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Are you really planning to go with RAIDZ1 with 8TB drives?
From there i can copy the data from tank_old to tank_new. Is there any preferred process for this?
The preferred process is to create a recursive snapshot and then use zfs replication.
With the remaining 2TB's, would there be any harm in setting them up as another z2 and adding that vdev to tank_new?
The 'harm' would be that you would have a pool made out of two severely mismatched vdevs. Whether you'd see any real-world impact would depend on workload.

razer86

Cadet
The 8TB's are going to server media via plex, would be a pain if something happened, but not the end of the world. Anything important will be saved to the 4TB mirror and backed up to an ext hdd.

As for the workload, its really just a home media server. Single Xbox connected to Plex. Box also runs Sonarr and Deluge jails.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
My guess is that ZFS will handle it for media streaming, but best practice would be to build separate pools with such a significant mismatch.

razer86

Cadet
I shall rethink my usage of the 2TB's.

As for the ZFS replication, is that done via Storage -> Replication Tasks?
I am assuming the replication is done via a snapshot, so if tank_old is in use, i would just need to remove any shares I have on tank_old so that nothing new can be changed, then re-run the replication to get anything that was added/modified since the last snapshop?

I am already using a recursive periodic snapshot task on my root dataset.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You could use a replication task, though for a one-time replication I consider a replication task to be overkill. When I replicate a pool I use the zfs command-line, but it isn't "better", it's just what works for me. Whether you use an existing snapshot or create a new one depends mostly on timing, i.e. whether an existing one is up to date. Yes, you need a strategy to prevent changes after the snapshot you plan to replicate, or to transfer those changes later.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Status
Not open for further replies.