Rebuild of FreeNAS mini-XL

kenj1974

Cadet
I have inherited a mini-XL that was setup by a previous administrator but left no documentation on username/password and it is not AD enabled. I am looking for any help that can be given on how to rebuild this to base OS. The actual hardware is only about 5 or 6 months old and is loaded with Ironwolf 6TB dives. I am new to the FreeNAS environment and would appreciate any assistance.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

kenj1974

Cadet
Doing a rebuild and this is the error I am recieving when trying to reinstall FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1.

gmirror: No such device: swap.
dd: /dev/ada0: Operation not permitted
The FreeNAS installation on ada0 has failed. Press enter to continue...

I have pulled all drives from the system with the exception of the 16GB drive that came with the system at purchase.
When doing the walk thru of the install in the begin I selected to do a fresh install and removed all partions from the 16GB drive.
I have wiped the Thumbdrive I am using, twice, using active kill and reloaded the .iso using Rufus to ensure a clean .iso

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

kenj1974

Cadet
Doing a rebuild and this is the error I am recieving when trying to reinstall FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1.

gmirror: No such device: swap.
dd: /dev/ada0: Operation not permitted
The FreeNAS installation on ada0 has failed. Press enter to continue...

I have pulled all drives from the system with the exception of the 16GB drive that came with the system at purchase.
When doing the walk thru of the install in the begin I selected to do a fresh install and removed all partions from the 16GB drive.
I have wiped the Thumbdrive I am using, twice, using active kill and reloaded the .iso using Rufus to ensure a clean .iso

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have ran gmirror ada0 it is reporting back no devices. when I run a gmirror list -a noting is returned. When I do a forget ada0 I get a message saying no device exists.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
OK, this is the part of the installer (see https://github.com/freenas/freenas/...2d38/src/freenas-installer/etc/install.sh#L32) where it tries to partition the prospective boot volume. The gmirror error you can ignore, as it's intended to remove any existing swap partition, and it's merely complaining no swap partition exists. The dd is more worrying: it's trying to zero out the GPT partition tables at the beginning and end of the drive.

Is there a toggle switch on the DOM putting it in read-only mode?

Redcoat

MVP
My mini had a separate two-wire power cable directly to the DOM - does yours? If so, is it connected?
1597161779014.png

Last edited: