SOLVED Really need some help with storage and missing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

Im fairly new to FreeNAS. I made a pc to run FreeNAS for backup and as a Plex server. Everything has been working great. Well my router died and I picked up a new one today. Got everything on my network setup except my FreeNAS machine. I finally got into FreeNAS, but my plex server was not responding. I was just messing around with trying to get it to work with no success. I was going to call it a night and just set my primary pc to run Plex and use my FreeNAS as the source of the videos. Well heres the problem, none of my videos, music, or pictures on FreeNAS can be found. I can access the directories from my PC, but the folders show empty. I know the files are somewhere on my FreeNAS machine because the amount of available disk space would suggest so. I have a data set called Media, and within that dataset I have 2 datasets, Movies and TV. Both of those show in the storage tab, but they show only to be using 96KiB. Under the media dataset it shows that 1.1TB is being used. I just cant find those files. If anyone could tell me how I can access these files I would so appreciate it. I will work on getting Plex working another time, I just dont want to lose all this media.

Thanks in advance

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Let's start with info on the datasets.

Please get some screenshots of your volumes/datasets in the GUI

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Here is my datasets. If I should be showing a different screen, please let me know. If it looks messy or unorganized, thats because it probably is. This is my first attempt at FreeNAS and didnt really know what I was doing going in and was trying to learn as I went along. Anyhow, heres a screenshot. Oh and good news is my wife reminded me that a couple of weeks ago I backed up all my data to an external hard drive I have. So although I want to know how to be able to see the files I have on FreeNAS drive already, if worse comes to worse and I have to wipe everything on the drive, then I should at leasdt be able to get most of my stuff off my other hard drive.
Screenshot (311).png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs and freenas version

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Here is my datasets. If I should be showing a different screen, please let me know. If it looks messy or unorganized, thats because it probably is. This is my first attempt at FreeNAS and didnt really know what I was doing going in and was trying to learn as I went along. Anyhow, heres a screenshot. View attachment 14742

Looks like you created directories in plexmedia dataset, and then created datasets inside with the same name. That's your problem. Your files are in the root of that dataset, and not in the child datasets

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Looks like you created directories in plexmedia dataset, and then created datasets inside with the same name. That's your problem. Your files are in the root of that dataset, and not in the child datasets
Should I just remove the datasets with the same name? I just made a mess of things and would rather not lose everything from the drive and have to transfer it all back if I can avoid it. Could you tell me what datasets should be destroyed?

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Hardware specs and freenas version

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Heres my hardware: ASRock AM1H with AMD Athlon 5350, 8GB RAM
1 WD20EFRX WD Red 2TB and 120GB Toshiba SSD
FreeNAS Version is 9.10.1-U4

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It would appear you need to remove the 2 child datasets from the plexmedia dataset.

Your configuration begs the question, what the hell are you doing with only one disk?

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Haha, that's a great question. When I started this build I was doing it more as a trial, just trying to get a feel for FREENAS. I had a WD red drive that I bought a while ago and wanted to just start off with that. I full intention on changing the hardware configuration and adding multiple drives, this was just me trying FreeNAS out. Once I get these files back (which I need to work on when I get home from work), I think I will back everything up and then get those extra drives that I should have.

With that being said, when I get home I'll remove the child datasets and hope for the best. I'm be posting here again if it works or if I have more questions.

Thanks

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
It would appear you need to remove the 2 child datasets from the plexmedia dataset.

Your configuration begs the question, what the hell are you doing with only one disk?

Thank you so much, that worked. I cant thank you enough. I know it should have been obvious, but like I said, Im new to this. Now to get a few extra drives to create some redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.