Really, like REALLY slow write speeds even on a stripe raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seton

Cadet
I have 3x500GB WD Blacks and i know they are new because i just opened them 2 days ago, i put them in at first, a RaidZ volume and found my speeds were moving a 3-4 MB/s. So i thought, maybe RaidZ is slow (never used it before) so i tried a stripe and still got those speeds. So i got fed up and tried an SSD, (Samsung 850 EVO i had lying around) and it was the same story. Any ideas? Ive tried reformatting the drived, re-installing, etc.

CPU: i5 6600k 4.8 GHz
Memory: 32GB DDR4
Boot Drive: Random USB Stick
Storage 3x500GB WD Blacks

I'm sorry if i forgot information, or if my post is stupid, or if it has already been answered.

garm

Wizard
How did you measure the write speed? Given your performance it sounds like your on a wireless network pushing around 40 Mbps, which would be expected from a 802.11a/g network.

Seton

Cadet
How did you measure the write speed? Given your performance it sounds like your on a wireless network pushing around 40 Mbps, which would be expected from a 802.11a/g network.
I measured my write speeds with a 1 GB test file, and i am using gigabit networking throughout my house, the desktop and nas are both hardwired into our switch.

I tried a test between 2 pcs using just normal windows file sharing and i got 73 megabytes a seconds

Both have SSDs and gigabit networking on the same network so its not my network.

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
Okey

Begin by establishing the actual performance of your machine by using “dd”. There are several examples in the forum and elsewhere how to do that.

Post the results here (in code tags).

When we see the expected results on the pool we can focus on the network then.

gpsguy

Also, please provided detailed hardware and software info. what's the make/model if your server NIC. While a Realtek might be okay foe Windows, they generally don't perform well with FreeNAS.

Try replacing your cables.

Seton

Cadet
Hi! i came home to a very pleasant surprise, i seems that an update was pushed last night (i am on nightlies because i wanted to see if a newer version had a fix), i tried again today and i get 90-100ish MB/s write on my SSD and 70-90 on raid (fluctuates ALOT) but i never knew they were doing a new UI? it looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.