Read-Only Storage mounted in Jail will not show any files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike360x1

Contributor
Hello,

I'm setting up an S3 CMD Jail in order to backup my files to AWS and I have mounted the dataset I wish to backup (/Default/Personal) to (mnt/zfspools/Docs) as Read-Only.

Problem is, S3cmd cannot locate any files in that storage and as a result, s3 fails to upload any files when I start the s3cmd sync operation.

To explore this issue, I've SSHed into the jail (using jexec) and found that I cannot show any files in the mounted storage directory using "ls". Is this normal? If so, how could I confirm that the storage pointer actually mounted? Otherwise, I cannot mount the storage with its normal permissions, fearing that I may overwrite my local data using the sync function.

TLDR; I have mounted a storage in my jail as read only and I cannot view any files in the storage.

I would be grateful for your help,

Thank you in advance,
Michael L.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
I tried browsing the directory using SFTP and as expected, I was not able to view any files, I was left with blank directories.
Pic: here

Last edited:

mike360x1

Contributor
Update:

I just found out that adding storage for a parent dataset doesn't actually recursively attach its child datasets too.
: (

I have multiple datasets in personal and it would be a bit troublesome and add clutter to the UI if I had to add each individual childset. It's not a major issue. (Worst comes, I can always just mount each individual dataset separately)

But, with that said, is there a more elegant solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.