READ command returned errno 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMH

Cadet
Hello,

Recently, I have started seeing this error on the connected display monitor, and in /var/log/message log file:
READ command returned errno 5 --> every 3 seconds.
and
WRITE command returned errno 5 --> every 30 seconds.

the full error line is:
<date> 01:50:30 <hostname> (2:4:0/0): READ command returned errno 5 --> the node indicator (?) in parenthesis (2:4:0/0) changes throughout the file between 0:4:0/0 - thru 3:4:0/0

my system:
FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 #0 3b4abc3: Mon Dec 8 15:09:41 PST 2014 root@build3.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/jkh/build/M/FN/objs/os-base/amd64/fusion/jkh/M/FN/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64
Running on HP DL180G6, using P410 RAID ctrl. with 6x150GB drives (RAID10), and 6x450GB drives (RAID5) - presenting to FreeNAS only the two arrays as disk (not using ZFS tools or utils).

Have 3 identical servers, two PROD, one LAB - only one of them (one of the PRODs) has this issue. Haven't noticed (or heard from users) of any degradation in performance, everything seems to be working well otherwise.
Not sure where to start looking.... Any input will be appreciated!
TY,
/DL

gpsguy

I can't help you with the error messages.

Did you read the docs and/or forum messages regarding the use of hardware RAID controllers? Instead of using hardware RAID, you should be using a HBA that allows for direct access to the disks.

In the ZFS Primer section of the docs it says "While ZFS can also be used with a RAID controller, it is recommended that the controller be put into JBOD mode so that ZFS has full control of the disks". For the LSI/IBM/xxx controllers, we recommend they be flashed to IT mode.

Running on HP DL180G6, using P410 RAID ctrl. with 6x150GB drives (RAID10), and 6x450GB drives (RAID5) - presenting to FreeNAS only the two arrays as disk (not using ZFS tools or utils).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello,

Recently, I have started seeing this error on the connected display monitor, and in /var/log/message log file:
READ command returned errno 5 --> every 3 seconds.
and
WRITE command returned errno 5 --> every 30 seconds.

the full error line is:
<date> 01:50:30 <hostname> (2:4:0/0): READ command returned errno 5 --> the node indicator (?) in parenthesis (2:4:0/0) changes throughout the file between 0:4:0/0 - thru 3:4:0/0

my system:
FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 #0 3b4abc3: Mon Dec 8 15:09:41 PST 2014 root@build3.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/jkh/build/M/FN/objs/os-base/amd64/fusion/jkh/M/FN/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64

Have 3 identical servers, two PROD, one LAB - only one of them (one of the PRODs) has this issue. Haven't noticed (or heard from users) of any degradation in performance, everything seems to be working well otherwise.
Not sure where to start looking.... Any input will be appreciated!
TY,
/DL
You are going to say "but everything has been fine" and you are wrong. Using raid with zfs is a terrible idea when you have no clue what you are doing. You should read up on best practices, non of them ever mention using raid.

Did you disable the write cache? Did you disable all checksum or resilvering features of the raid card? These things can cause your pool to corrupt. You should make sure your backup is working because you're going to need it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.