rc.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

shewless

Dabbler
Hello,

I need to add a line to rc.conf on FreeNAS 8.0.1.

Is there a way to do this from the web interface?

If I do it from the command line, will my changes be "persistent" (if I backup my FreeNAS config will it incorporate these changes)?

Thank you,

Durkatlon

Patron
You'll have to add the line through the command line to /etc/rc.conf. To make it survive reboots, you'll have to add it to /conf/base/etc/rc.conf as well. There is no way to make it persistent across upgrades; the change will not be saved in the FreeNAS config that you can backup.

shewless

Dabbler
You'll have to add the line through the command line to /etc/rc.conf. To make it survive reboots, you'll have to add it to /conf/base/etc/rc.conf as well. There is no way to make it persistent across upgrades; the change will not be saved in the FreeNAS config that you can backup.

Ah thanks! Is there anyway to make it saved in the FreeNAS config? Do I have to hack some database entry?? :D

Durkatlon

Patron
Probably not. I think the rc.conf gets copied from /conf/base/etc to /etc (which is a RAM disk) during boot without any modifications from the database. Files that are modified during boot generally have a corresponding /etc/rc.d/ix-yyyyy script where yyyyy is the service or config file that the script is responsble for creating.

shewless

Dabbler
I tried looking for a spot to squeeze this in the database but I could not find a spot. I ended up doing "mount -ur /" and then editing /conf/base/etc.

Thanks for the help.

memel.parduin

Dabbler

shewless

Dabbler
Okay. I've updated to FreeNAS 8.2-RELEASE-p1.

I see you can add tunables and sysctls... Is there a spot to add rc.conf values? That would be handy.

I tried my trick of "mount -uw /" and made my changes there.. but it's annoying to have to keep doing that every upgrade.

Since I created my zfs volume ages ago before I used FreeNAS I don't have swap space on each drive.. so I need to use a swapfile. I need to add "swapfile="/mnt/tank/swap0

Status
Not open for further replies.