Random shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
So I have an interesting problem, I have my box at home with a main drive and a Jails drive separate.
(Backstory: I had the same setup with the jails on a very old hard disk drive that recently died. Long story short I had to rebuild all of my jails on this new drive so now they are brand new)
I have a full HTPC setup complete with Plex in its own jail. I just did the update from 11 U2 to 11 U4 and now every time I start an anime and engage subtitles it will start buffering after a minute of playing the episode. It doesn't just buffer but restarts like everything; I can't access any other jail, I can't access the box with SSH, NOTHING!!!
I have tried another reinstall of Plex to no avail. Any suggestions would be good

Sidenote: I do have an email that is sent to me every time this happens Which states that one of my two boot devices has crapped out... I'm not sure if this would be related to the same issue at all... Please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I do have an email that is sent to me every time this happens Which states that one of my two boot devices has crapped out... I'm not sure if this would be related to the same issue at all
Yes. The boot drive failing would absolutely cause problems.
We still need the hardware specs, but I would say a replacement for that failed boot drive is the first step to a fix because with it being bad, there is no way the system will be stable.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
hardware specs in description.
i have two boot devices though, would it not just ignore the one that isn't working properly and use the one that is?
/var/log/messages just had the bootup information in there

Note: just looked at FreeNAS and it had an uptime of minutes so it must've done a soft reboot because a full reboot and i hear my machine's fans spinning up

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
just looked at FreeNAS and it had an uptime of minutes so it must've done a soft reboot because a full reboot and i hear my machine's fans spinning up
Cooling: H2C cooling unit... I am familiar with these. They are horrible about getting clogged up internally and not cooling properly. The system overheats and random crazy things happen like rebooting without warning.
First order of business, get an air coolers on the parts instead of this water rig.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
ya... i thought i may have been one of the lucky ones. i usually get an email when my system has gotten too hot though. Maybe will have to do that anyways :(

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
i don't exactly have the funds to go out and buy stuff but i have another (much lower end) PC which i will be trying out shortly to see if the problem persists.

Some additional information:

i replaced the one boot device so that they are both healthy and happy... same thing
i also noticed that it will also restart if i play anything HD: i have an old TV show that has a container of MKV and a codec of HVEC with AAC audio... i am not a codec master in the slightest so not sure if that even matters.

Switched over to another system and have no issues... i also updated FreeNAS to 11.1 before i tested... probably a stupid diagnostic thing to do but whatever, it works now :)

i still am unsure of what the problem is because i have windows installed on the old Dell and it works fine. i will do more diagnostics and post what i find.

Status
Not open for further replies.