Raidz2 configuration for optimal 12 drives pool?

Daisuke

Contributor
I have a new Dell R720xd setup with 12 x 8TB drives controlled by a H710 mini flashed to IT mode. TrueNAS Scale runs on a separate SSD.

I want to obtain the maximum amount of space for a Raidz2 setup, I currently get approximately 65TB total and I was expecting to see at least 75TB:

1652942760376.png

What is the optimal Raidz2 setup for my disks? Using 2 vdevs will make me lose 4 disks instead of 2, not sure what to do.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
At 12 wide, you're getting very close to the maximum (of 16... https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Performance and Tuning/Workload Tuning.html#pool-geometry-1) recommended by the OpenZFS project and your rebuild times will be terribly long.

If you accept that, then 12 can technically happen.

In order to understand where your data is going (and remembering that there's TiB and TB to think about as different counts of the real storage capacity), you're probably best to use the RAIDZ calculator here: https://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl

It's probably worth looking up the actual GB rating of the disks you're using vs GiB to ensure you enter the right size in the calculator.

sretalla