Raid1 and data pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Cadet
Hi I'm using Openmediavault and wanted a changed. I want to try out Freenas but had a question.

I currently have 4 drives:
2x3tb
2x1tb
I have the drives setup with Raid1, so 2x3tb one Raid1 array and 2x1tb in another Raid1 array. I than have both the arrays in a data pool, so I will have 4tb of storage available.

Is this setup possible with Freenas, basically can I have multiple Raid arrays in one big data pool.
thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is this setup possible with Freenas, basically can I have multiple Raid arrays in one big data pool.
No, but you can have multiple mirrored vdevs in the same pool.

And you are probably asking yourself about this vdev versus raid array thing, so I recommend you familiarize yourself with my noobie presentation in my sig, read through the manual, and check out the stickied threads in the forums.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No, but you can have multiple mirrored vdevs in the same pool.

And you are probably asking yourself about this vdev versus raid array thing, so I recommend you familiarize yourself with my noobie presentation in my sig, read through the manual, and check out the stickied threads in the forums.

Pellinore: This is Cyberjock's way of saying: "You can do what you're saying, but the whole concept is different in FreeNAS, and before questions like the one you're asking make any sense, you should be reading a little bit on what already exists on the forum, which, if you did, you wouldn't be asking the questions."

So, the answer really is: "Yes, you can do that, or at least the FreeNAS/ZFS equivalent. Read the basic material in the forums/manual first, though, so you don't make any half-assed plan, or ask any half-assed question."

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Cool. You'll find several of us willing to help.

I personally recommend setting up a VMware player virtual machine, and pretending you have a FreeNAS (like, 3x10GB lolol hard drives), and playing around with everything, make sure you like it/get it, before you actually try to set a real one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.