Raid 10 setup help please

artlessknave

Wizard
note that if you are reading the same file over and over again...zfs will be caching the file, and you would be getting RAM read speeds, not disk read speeds.
also note that if your test file fits into RAM, you would be limited by the transferring systems read/write speeds, not truenas, since RAM is WAY faster than any disk, and a file that fits into RAM would be in ARC, to my understanding.
500-600 sounds like SSD's max speeds.

doox00

Dabbler
note that if you are reading the same file over and over again...zfs will be caching the file, and you would be getting RAM read speeds, not disk read speeds.
also note that if your test file fits into RAM, you would be limited by the transferring systems read/write speeds, not truenas, since RAM is WAY faster than any disk, and a file that fits into RAM would be in ARC, to my understanding.
500-600 sounds like SSD's max speeds.
I was copying different movies files (20-30gb each), not the same one back and forth to test speeds. They would have fit into ram before I upped the ram from 64gb to 96gb but maybe that was the difference. Either way if it is consistent, I am happy with those results regardless how zfs/truenas is doing it. :)

artlessknave

Wizard
I was copying different movies files (20-30gb each), not the same one back and forth to test speeds. They would have fit into ram before I upped the ram from 64gb to 96gb but maybe that was the difference. Either way if it is consistent, I am happy with those results regardless how zfs/truenas is doing it. :)
sure. just be aware that if that is what is happening, the speed will not be sustained for larger files, though if you are just moving compressed movies, you probably won't reach that point often.