Rack Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSpiderMKII

Dabbler
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent rack in which I could place my SuperMicro SC846 4U Server. I'm looking for something that is deep enough to hold the server and could be placed on castor wheels, if possible. I'm also planning on putting an UPS system with sufficient battery power in there, so I'm hoping to have 12U or more of available space in the rack. Thanks in advance!

Jason Evans

Explorer
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent rack in which I could place my SuperMicro SC846 4U Server. I'm looking for something that is deep enough to hold the server and could be placed on castor wheels, if possible. I'm also planning on putting an UPS system with sufficient battery power in there, so I'm hoping to have 12U or more of available space in the rack. Thanks in advance!
I've personally had a lot of luck searching my local Craigslist. Businesses that are selling their old server racks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GPSpiderMKII

Dabbler
Thanks, @Jason Evans ... I think the biggest problem I'm having is making sure that the rack can fit this size chassis. I've looked around on Newegg and haven't been able to find much that's been able to fully support a chassis that is 26" deep / 17+" wide. I was hoping someone here had some experience with a specific model or brand that supported such a size.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Any 4 post or enclosed rack will work. It just can't be a networking rack. I have a Dell poweredge 2410 that I got off Craigslist, basically the only way to go because the price is so cheap.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Found this 15U adjustable rack that would fit your stated requirements.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16816215002

Like SweetAndLow, I recently used craigslist to find a Dell Poweredge 42U.
Be aware that racks are heavy and you will need a pickup truck/large SUV
AND a helper or two to haul your purchase home. Good hunting!

Edit: grammer correction

Last edited:

Stux

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Jason Evans

Explorer
Here's is my test setup with those.
018650b3381b83ceab366bfc777702f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status