Rack for Supermicro - Will it fit?

revengineer

Contributor
Hello,
I am new to this community, just getting started with server equipment. I bought a Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B on ebay, replaced the fans with Noctuas to quiet it down, and installed FreeNAS. The server is running well, so far so good. My biggest challenge has been to find a server rack and could use advise as to my selection before placing my order.

The server dimensions are given as HxWxD 7” x 17.2” x 26.5”. I was looking for a fully-enclosured, reasonably priced server rack, which folks online are happy with. In my search I came across the Sysracks SRF 800 Model 32.6.8 (https://sysracks.com/catalog/sysracks-srf-800/32u-32-depth-it-telecom-cabinet-srf-32-6-8/). I understand that the depth of the SRF 800 is 32”, which exceed the ~27” server depth, but I am unclear how the rack posts fit within the enclosure. I would like to know whether the server will fit in this rack. The vendor has a rack series with 35" depth, but I do not like the grey color. There is also a series with 39" depth, which is black again but seems overkill for my home use. Would anyone know whether the server will fit in the 32" deep rack linked above?

Thank you so much for feedback in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would like to know whether the server will fit in this rack.
Really, your question would be better directed to the vendor of the cabinet. However, based on this line on that page:
Max distance between U-mark mounting rails-30”(760mm)
...I'd say the server should fit.

I second @danb3's response. Note that many of the server rails actually have adjustable length ears; e.g., the end of the server extends beyond the rear vertical cabinet rail.

I'd go with square holes rather than the pre-drilled threaded telco-style racks. Many server rails expect square holes!

Inxsible

Guru
@revengineer you are willing to spend $660 on a rack??

Have a look on craigslist or offerup in your local area and I am sure you will be able to find enclosed 42 U racks for $100-$150 - especially when some "office" gets shutdown and the equipment is sold off.

an example: https://offerup.com/item/detail/781579505/

If you are looking for a different size -- especially smaller then it might be difficult. But I would think if you can fit a 32U (the one that you posted), you can probably fit a 42U in that space.

When buying a rack -- the most important thing is the mounting depth of the rack. Your largest server (in terms of depth) needs to be less than the depth of the rack. Your rack rails will be extensible and so will fit mounting depth -- again as long as you don't buy a non-standard rack with a depth of 47" or more. Also remember that the total depth of the rack needs to be more than the server's depth -- in order to be able to route the cables (power, lan etc) behind it and also for the hot air to have some space where it can be sucked out via rising up and out of the tower.

Finally, don't buy too big a rack ie don't buy a 42U, if you only have 8U-10U worth of equipment -- because then you will have to buy a lot of blank panels to fill in -- in order to create a cool air area to suck the air in and the exhaust area.

Final finally, if you are like me and have some basic tools and a bit of skill then just build a DIY rack using the plans available here: https://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2014/02/diy-server-rack-plans.html

Last edited:
I built a rack based upon Tom's plans. It worked out okay, especially since I wouldn't consider myself anything of a craftsman. Here are some considerations backup upon my experience:
  • I'm not sure what lumber is like where you live, but the 2x4s (or 2x3s if you go that way) need to be straight. Not twisted, bowed, etc. This was a challenge for me in finding straight pieces
  • Remember that wood is "living" - it will grow/shrink depending upon the humidity
  • Add on the thickness of the vertical rails when putting it together. While only about 1/16 of an inch on each side, together the 1/8" can make things too tight (or you can router a small groove in the 2x4 - likely easier to add the 1/8" or so between them :))
  • Like I noted above, buy the square hole rails. The threaded telco rails see like a good idea but many/most rails come set up for square holes and have easy connections when using them
This is what it looks like. It is still a work in progress (cable management especially).

IMG_20190520_144741-576x1024.jpg

IMG_20190901_144103-576x1024.jpg

Last edited:

revengineer

Contributor
Thank you for the feedback, my apology that it took a while to get back to this. In the meantime, the sysracks vendor has replied and confirmed that the 32" rack will fit. I ended up opting for the 39" deep version after all (https://sysracks.com/catalog/sysracks-srf/32u-39-depth-it-telecom-cabinet-srf-32-6-10/). The racks are so expensive, that I do not want to have to purchase another one. I did look at used racks, but transportation was a problem and shipping was costly.

You went with the square holes. Good choice in my opinion.

Personally, I don't really understand why the racks are so expensive. There can't be, using the cabinet you selected, US$700 of steel and human effort into making one...

revengineer

Contributor
I assume is that the high prices are due to lack of competition on price point for enterprise equipment. On the bright side, the cabinet I chose includes a PDU and thermal control system. I figure that this is one-time expense, so as long as it lasts I will get over the price. :)