BUILD Rack build help

halt95

Cadet
Hello, I've currently been looking into using FreeNAS and I have no idea what motherboard and cpu to buy.

I'm in the UK so would prefer if the parts aren't shipped from USA.
My current idea right now is to have 10 x 8TB WD red or iron wolf drives and run them in RAID-Z2 which means i would have a total of 68TB available storage space for Plex and other stuff.

Is it possible to use a dl380e g8 chassis and put a motherboard and cpu in there? If so, what motherboard and cpu would be recommended for this? what amount of ram would be ideal? I understand that for each 1tb of storage, 1GB of ram would be best. I have a spare LSI 9211-8i card lying around which i could put into IT mode and use that.

If not possible, i would still need a reccomendation for a cpu, motherboard and buy a 3rd party chassis.

Thanks for the help!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, it isn't possible to do that. HP, IBM, and Dell all make their own custom chassis and boards.

You can find a Supermicro chassis and put something in that. I suggest a Supermicro board, not because it's the only thing that will fit - lots of other stuff can fit in there - but because it's actually much more likely to be an appropriate-for-FreeNAS board if you get a Supermicro server board.