Questions about RAID and FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellupu

Dabbler
Heyho,
first of all, I'm completely new to freeNAS and never had experience with servers based on Linux (or Unix? - first fail *ouch*)

Okay, so my second fail was to decide myself to buy non-ECC RAM, while I was nearly a heartattack, :eek: when I read some threads about lost zpools and that discussion between non-ECC and ECC RAM from cyberjock. So okay, I'm gonna get myself asap to the next shop buying some ECC RAM.

I took myself also time to read the official freenas guide (still not finished) looking for a solution for my setup. Currently I own 2x3TB WD Red HDD which I would like to use in a RAID0 setup (I'm aware of the risk losing data, that's why I have a backup NAS) and later I would like to extend my space with another 3x3TB HDD using a RAID5.

1. I'm not sure if this is possible switching from RAID0 to 5 without loosing the data. As far as I understood (english isn't my native language) there is no possibility to stripe an existing volume / RAID?
  2. What solution would be the best for my scenario?
  3. Is it correct that RAIDz1 = RAID5, while "z" stands for the number of spare drives? (simplified)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler
  1. I'm not sure if this is possible switching from RAID0 to 5 without loosing the data. As far as I understood (english isn't my native language) there is no possibility to stripe an existing volume / RAID?
  3. Is it correct that RAIDz1 = RAID5, while "z" stands for the number of spare drives? (simplified)

1. No - You need to destroy and re-create your pool to do this. see Cyberjock's guide for details
  2. That depends - How much risk are you willing to take? Note that raid5/raidz1 are considered risky. A 6 drive RaidZ2 pool is popular round here.http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162
  3. Yes - Raidz1's closest equivilant is raid5. They both use a single drives worth of parity, and can continue with one failed drive. Raid6/RaidZ2 use 2 drives worth of parity to provide additonal redundany.

Shroom

Explorer
Heyho,
first of all, I'm completely new to freeNAS and never had experience with servers based on Linux (or Unix? - first fail *ouch*)

Okay, so my second fail was to decide myself to buy non-ECC RAM, while I was nearly a heartattack, :eek: when I read some threads about lost zpools and that discussion between non-ECC and ECC RAM from cyberjock. So okay, I'm gonna get myself asap to the next shop buying some ECC RAM.

I took myself also time to read the official freenas guide (still not finished) looking for a solution for my setup. Currently I own 2x3TB WD Red HDD which I would like to use in a RAID0 setup (I'm aware of the risk losing data, that's why I have a backup NAS) and later I would like to extend my space with another 3x3TB HDD using a RAID5.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Do you really need 6TB of RAID 0? Why not get a couple 1TB Blacks in RAID 0 and supplement it with the NAS. You'd get better performance out of the RAID0 with Black drives.

This'll also save you a couple bucks which you can put towards a FreeNAS build. As Whiteworth said, 6 is a good number. RaidZ2 is what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.