Questions about FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickinfl

Contributor
Hi, New Here just found FreeNAS and thought I'd give it a try. I'm a ESXI User so I have a couple of questions.

I downloaded FreeNAS 11

1. Does FreeNAS have the ability to do pass-though to the VM's? -- Very Important... so Important if I can't do this I can't user FreeNAS. I have to pass-though USB ports to my VM's to attach Ext HD's.
2. Can I convert my ESXI VM's to FreeNAS - Not really critical I can rebuild them pretty fast.
3 Can you add Ext Hard Drive? Maybe to the Storage? I want to use it for backup only. I run rsync to backup to ext HD.
4. I'm running a DMZ for my Webserver. In ESXI all you do is create a Virtual Switch with no physical Nic attached and give it a different subnet.
5. I built an NVR for my camera's and it is attached to a different Array. I want to keep it separate from my other Array.

Thanks.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hello,
FreeNAS VM is actually in beta (or at least in a early release stadium). Not all features are available for now. e. g booting from grub with Linux . So better stay on esxi at this time. Do pass-through your hdd to FreeNAS would be a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.