Question on a Possible Build and its Feasibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wenborn

Cadet
Hello I’m new to these forums, I’m intending in setting myself up a FreeNAS server and have been researching my component base for my build, I understand the necessity for server grade components like ECC ram so have picked the following components;

Processor: Intel CPU Xeon E3-1270v @ 3 3.50GHz

Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I

Ram: Kingston 1 x 16GB 133MHz DDR3 ECC

Hard Drives: WD RED 3TB x 6

Power supply: SilverStone ST45SF-G (450W 80 Plus Gold)

Case: Lan Li PC-Q25B

I’m currently on an internship in the Netherlands and intend on setting up my NAS server in the UK and access it remotely in the Netherlands for my remaining 8 moths I’m here from then I will predominately access it locally.

I’m not sure if it’s a bit over kill as I just intend on hosting a private webpage, store my file backup’s and stream content from the server for example music and video files (the period I’m overseas It will just be used as file storage). In the UK there will also be 2 other people that will use it to back up their files. This will hopefully be achieved by a ZFS file system in RaidZ2 I also hope to use SNAPSHOTS.

Well that’s my plan,

Another route would be me to set the server up here and ship it back to the UK in 8 months from not but I’m not too fond of that idea for obvious reasons. What sort of speeds could I expect as I have 10mbs virgin internet in the UK and a 60mbs connection here in the Netherlands? Advice on my hardware selection would be much appreciated as I’m not sure if that’s overkill for my needs also any opportunities to drop the costs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.