Question about outpur from zpool status (volume names)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nem

Cadet
Question about output from zpool status (volume names)

Hi,

Im pretty new to Unix, or well, *nix systems as a whole so i got a question..

The names of my volumes (they are called zvols, right?) are kinda weird and i read about using the zfs rename command to give them more manageable names.

Code:
freenas# zpool status
  pool: Beginning
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Beginning                                       ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/21e44d60-ae5f-11e0-8b1d-001fd020b82d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/22cc25a1-ae5f-11e0-8b1d-001fd020b82d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/23a6abcd-ae5f-11e0-8b1d-001fd020b82d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/24acadf9-ae5f-11e0-8b1d-001fd020b82d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/25cca71f-ae5f-11e0-8b1d-001fd020b82d  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I tried googling a bit but i got confused so im trying these forums in hopes of learning something.. :)

Worth mentioning:
When i created my zpool i did a "trick" to get proper 4K sector sizes mentioned in this forum thread (5th post)

Im wondering tho, how come they got those names?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to any replies.

EDIT: Im running FreeNAS 8.0.1BETA4

globus999

Contributor
Not a clue, but that trick is only 1/2 of the process.
What I did with my raidz1 is:

1 - Create a nop with an ashift of 12 for *one* disk
2 - Create the raidz1 with 3 disks and 1 with the nop (4 hdds in total)
3 - Export raidz1
4 - Destroy nop
5 - Import raidz1

And it worked OK. The general idea is that once the ashift is set, it won't change even if you replace hdds. In this trick, you are replacing one nop with the hdd itself.

See:

http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...pgrades-to-4k-disks-(FN8)&highlight=globus999

However, as far as I understand it 4K disks for ZFS are fully supported in 8.0.1 Beta 4 - All you have to do is to enable the Advance Formatting setting. Haven't tried it, though.

nem

Cadet
Yeah its supported in Beta4 but i was being blind when creating the zpool and i managed to do it manually before being made aware of the checkbox .. :)

Anyways, youre telling me i didnt do it correctly?
When i check the Ashift now it tells me its correct (12) and thats even after a reboot..

If i somehow didnt do it correctly i guess i will destroy the pool and use the buildt-in feature in order to do it right, before i have more data on it than i can store elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.