Question about Jails and deleting storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
I am having some performance issues (I have a post in the performance section but this is a different post!) and I wanted to delete my storage and try some of the other formatting options. Currently getting about 30-40 MB/s and I was wanting 60+MB/s. I am currently in a VM which may be part of the problem.

Anyways, I have an openvpn jail and an Owncloud Jail setup using signed SSL certs, and several customizations. I really don't want to start over if I can help it. Although I have documented how and what I did so it wouldn't be too much trouble to start from scratch.

But I was curious if the Jail storage was located on the imported hard drives, or the raided storage drives that I imported into the VM. Basically, if I wipe the RaidZ storage, will that wipe my Jails as well? And if so, is there a way to backup the jails before wiping?

I hope this was not too confusing (And I am new to freenas, so hopefully I hope I am not asking anything too silly!) and I greatly appreciate your time and help!

m0nkey_

MVP
Deleting your pool will destroy everything on it, including your jails. You will want to backup any files before proceeding.

Here's a quick example on how to backup/restore a jail to/from a file. This isn't garunteed to work, so make sure you read up on the commands 'zfs send' and 'zfs receive'.

Backup:
Code:
zfs snapshot pool/jaildir/jailname@backup
zfs send pool/jaildir/jailname@backup | gzip > jailname.gz
zfs destroy pool/jaildir/jailname

*(Replacing pool, jaildir and jailname with appropriate values)

Restore:
Code:
zfs receive pool/jaildir/jailname < gzip -c jailname.gz

Status
Not open for further replies.