Question About Importing NTFS Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
Hi,

My friend had a 1 Tb NTFS disk which contains about 500 Gb of photos, all put on the drive while that was installed on her old Windows XP (Service Pack 3+) computer. The hard drive is a fairly new Western Digital "Green". She takes a lot of photos, so I pulled this disk from the Windows machine and installed it on my new FreeNAS 8.0.3-p1 box. The idea is to centralize her photo storage to a FreeNAS box. I decided to import the disk as an NTFS volume. In the "View All Volumes" pane of the GUI, this volume shows up with a health of "UNKNOWN", the serial number does not show, but the amount of space used on the disk and the amount of free space shows up fine. I named the volume ddrv so it shows as /mnt/ddrv. I am unable to assign ownership and permissions to it. I tried to make this volume an NFS share so that my friend can read the disk, but when I try to select a volume for NFS shares, /mnt/ddrv does not show up in the browse list of available volumes.

I'm wondering if the solution is pretty simple. Maybe I should export this disk and then re-import it as a CIFS share? Or perhaps I can just make it a CIFS share directly?

I don't understand why I can't get a report on the drive's health state -- the "unknown" indication bothers me. Also I can't get the serial number. Could the drive be dead, even though FreeNAS can get information about the space usage on it?

Thanks

Bob

ProtoSD

MVP
NTFS support in FreeBSD is very limited and importing NTFS volumes in FreeNAS was never intended to be used to share files from. It's main purpose is to migrate/copy files from the NTFS disk to your UFS or ZFS filesystems, nothing more. The drive is probably just fine, its the NTFS support that has problems.

louisk

Patron
I would suggest you copy the files from the PC to your FreeNAS box. Just setup a CIFS share for the friend. It should be very straight forward.

BobCochran

Contributor
My thanks to both of you! I will try that and see what happens.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.