QNAP TS-879U-RP 8-Bay NAS as possible candidate

datahoarding

Cadet
I can purchase this QNAP TS-879U-RP 8-Bay NAS that comes with a 10G network card, but only 2G of RAM. It has only a VGA port. I can use a spare 8G stick that I have to bring it to the minimum requirement.
The plan would be to use a slot for OS drive and another for an SSD as read cache with the remaining six for data storage.
I saw on a spec sheet that this model is capable only to 32TB of raw capacity. That is not much in today's data hungry world.
Thanks heaps in advance.
Your help is highly appreciated.

Arwen

MVP
First off, 8GB is the bare minimum for TrueNAS RAM. If you end up wanting more functions, like VMs, Jails, etc... you may be out of luck.

Next, ZFS read cache drives, (aka L2ARC or sometimes just called Cache drives), NEED memory to function. It is suggested you have more than 32GB, like 64GB of RAM before adding a L2ARC / Cache drive. And only if it will help for the specific use case.

Last, the CPU is old, released in 2011, and uses DDR3 memory. The next generation of memory, DDR4 has been out 9 years. This means the DDR3 memory would be slower. Sometimes okay, but something you should be aware of.

I am not trying to talk you out of the QNAP TS-879U-RP, but helping you see it with the limitations in advance. Perhaps those limitation won't mater to you.

datahoarding

Cadet
Thank you, Arwen!
A real eye opener and food for thought. It looks that one is stuck with the QNAP file system and all its follies. Accordinglly with spec sheet the one is limited to 8GB of RAM, and the only use i would be basic storage and limited media playback staying within QNAP ecosystem.