Qbit Plugins no longer work if change root default shell

Grinas

Contributor
If i change the default shell on my qbittorrent jail after a restart then the plugins no longer work on qbittorrent.

Code:
chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash root

If it change it back again and restart qbittorrent it then works as expect. From looking at the qbittorrent logs it seems when bash is the default shell then qbittorrent thinks python is no longer installed.

Code:
(I) 2022-02-17T12:17:27 - Python not detected

Any idea on how to make qbittorrent plugins work with bash shell?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Any idea on how to make qbittorrent plugins work with bash shell?
I'm not sure what the purpose of creating this problem for yourself is... maybe if that's clear, I would be more inclined to put in some testing to help.

My first guess would be to look at the rc.d script and see how that's calling python... perhaps hardcoding/specifying the path to python in full there would be enough.

ee /usr/local/etc/rc.d/qbittorrent (I don't run that application myself, so that's a guess on the location/filename)

Grinas

Contributor
basically cause bash is the default shell on everything else i use and its frustrating as csh is missing things like reverse command lookup and things like that.

I am on the CLI of this jail a lot as i have a tonne of scripts to do things with qbit e.g upload to a site, add a tag to torrents etc..

it looks like there is no reference to python or csh in '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/qbittorrent' so ill just keep it at csh and move to bash when i login instead of setting it as the default.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Seems like this article may help...

You can check your existing path from csh with cat ~/.profile

I guess you would then try to replicate that with ~/.bash_profile (or use the suggested method of having it include ~/.profile)

Which user did you configure to run qBittorrent? Mine is configured to run under my main user account (i.e, winnie UID 1000).

I am on the CLI of this jail a lot as i have a tonne of scripts to do things with qbit e.g upload to a site, add a tag to torrents etc..
Are these automatic scripts? If only done manually, can't you do most of that stuff from the qBittorrent web GUI itself?

Last edited:

Grinas

Contributor
Which user did you configure to run qBittorrent? Mine is configured to run under my main user account (i.e, winnie UID 1000).

Are these automatic scripts? If only done manually, can't you do most of that stuff from the qBittorrent web GUI itself?
its running in a jail under the user qbittorrent.

automatic scripts.

The UI can be torture sometimes. as it is limited with features. Best thing about Qbit is the api and the integrations with it.

If i change the default shell on my qbittorrent jail after a restart then the plugins no longer work on qbittorrent.

I'm confused by this. Why would changing the root user's shell interfere with qbittorrent-nox that runs under the user qbittorrent?

Silly question: Did you install bash in the jail?

Grinas

Contributor
Double check this to make sure it's actually running under the user qbittorrent:

ps aux | grep qbittorrent-nox

Grinas

Contributor
there you go. makes no sense to me either

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 16.28.03.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 16.28.03.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 115