Put Share on Snapshot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gessi

Dabbler
Hello,

tried to create a Share on a Snapshot (.zfs) to make the Snapshot accessible remotely but the 9.3 FreeNAS Gui doesn't show the hidden .zfs directories even if enabled as visible from the CLI:
Code:
zfs set snapdir=visible 

Now I am wondering if there is a way to make a Snapshot instead of the working Share available to remote computers?
Why I wanna do that instead of accessing the Snapshot through the standard share? I want to enable the latest Snapshot of a Dataset for WebDAV access and don't want to create a WebDAV Share on the Dataset itself as it screws my owner and permission sets to the 'webdav' user/group.

Gessi

Dabbler
Very good point!!! I just misunderstood the term 'clone' and what it means for storage consumption for ZFS as I just started with ZFS (and my FreeNAS).

Most other storage systems will use same amount of storage for a clone as it's a 1:1 copy of the original but that's not the case for ZFS as it uses up only a small portion of blocks while pointing to the original datasets data blocks and as i wanna export the dataset via Webdav only.... Thanks!!!
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/6n7ht6r4b/index.html

Anyway another question as I wann have, daily, the very latest Snapshot shared through WebDAV. Anyway to access the latest Snapshot via a path variable like /tank/my_dataset/.zfs/snapshot/latest ???

D

dlavigne

Anyway another question as I wann have, daily, the very latest Snapshot shared through WebDAV. Anyway to access the latest Snapshot via a path variable like /tank/my_dataset/.zfs/snapshot/latest ???

Not that I'm aware of, though others may know.

Status
Not open for further replies.