Pulling Replicated Data Back From One TN Box to another

Dckr90

Dabbler
Hey All,

I have tried to look for this online but not quite hit the right info, so hoping you can help :)

Long story short, i have two systems, both running TrueNAS Core, server 1 is my main one (with plugins, external access etc), server 2 is purely a backup of a plugin from server 1, using a snapshot/replication task.

My issue is this, i had an issue with the plugin (Nextcloud), i bricked the plugin, so i deleted it, not my smartest move, as in doing so, deleted the data, i have reinstalled the NC Plugin and got it all working, but need to pull data from my microserver (Server 2) back to the main one (server 1)so its accessible again, is there a way to do this, or i saw somewhere using Ubuntu to pull the data off the drives (id like to avoid this, id prefer to use TrueNAS).

Im not sure what other information to put, but if needed i can give more, i look forward to your responses with gratitude.

Dan

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

From what you described, you do not need to touch server 2. Everything can be done from server 1.

What you need to do is to search in your list of snapshots for the one containing the data you wish to recover. Once located, all you need to do is to clone that snapshot. It will turn in a new, read - write dataset containing the data exactly as they were back then.

Once the clone is online, you can either extract / copy - paste the data you are looking for and then destroy the clone. Only the clone gets destroyed and the original snapshot, with the original data, remains untouched.

Another option is to use that clone as your now standard operational dataset and go with it from here. If you do so, remember to adjust your snapshot and replication tasks to backup and save your data from this new dataset.

Good for you to have backups. Here, your first copy managed to survive the incident by itself, so no need to go for the second copy. Keep that backup in place and you may even practice doing recovery like this time to time as an improvement. Your backup is proven successful not once it is written to its support, but once it provided a functional restore.

Dckr90

Dabbler
Thank you for your response, how would i extract the data, would i be able to do it via an SMB share to my windows pc?

If I can do it this way then i will, and ill re set up the user accounts and re-upload the data back to the relevant users.

Heracles

Wizard
Once the clone is created, it will become a brand new dataset. If you wish to re-share its content over SMB, you can do it easily : just share it the very same way you share your other data. It will not be shared by default (unless you mount it under an already-shared path) but sharing it will not be any different than sharing any other data.