Proper way to restore files

MurrayS

Dabbler
Could someone share the proper approach for restoring files onto a new Windows machine?
Previously, I used Windows 10's backup utility and backed up files and folders to FreeNAS 11. Now, I need to restore those files to a new Windows machine, and files have been stamped with version history.
How do I restore the files without pulling the version history as those appear as part of the file name? Hope there's a better way than manually copying files down with Windows Explorer.
Appreciate your responses.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

That question is not related to FreeNAS. Here, FreeNAS is only storing the backup. It did not create it and it is not up to FreeNAS to restore it. You have to restore using the same tool you used for taking the backup.

That is also another evidence of a basic rule about backup : A backup is worthless until you restored it successfully. When putting in place a new backup strategy, you must always do a restore test to be sure that the backup will do its job properly. If you don't, you risk figuring out that your backup can not be restored the very day you will need it.

For your case, do some Internet search about the tool you used and how to restore a backup taken with that tool. FreeNAS is not part of that.

Good luck,

MurrayS

Dabbler
Thanks for the response.
It's actually straight forward, in case someone else is dealing with the situation. Took me a few minutes to dig it up.
--------------------------------
From Windows Settings, search for restore and select Restore files with File History
That brings up a screen with all the backed up files and folders along with different versions (granted backup was done accordingly)
Scroll through different the history using the navigation at the bottom of the screen and select the desired files and version
Click the gear on the upper right, select Restore to, and choose a destination folder to restore the files
Life is good.