SOLVED Progress bar for S.M.A.R.T

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
Hello,

I am starting my process of HDD burn-in and naturally I want to run some S.M.A.R.T tests

It was easy peasy to go to the UI and Storage-> Disks select my HDD's and click on MANUAL TEST play button.
What I don't understand is:
a) How do I see its progress? I got a popup saying when these long tests will end approximately in a few hours but I can't see a current status.
b) Should I expect to start hearing spinning disks?
c) When reading and writing and seeking with dd do you then hear spinning disks?

Thanks in advance.

smartctrl tests are hardware level tests built into the drive firmware. TrueNAS is not actually running the tests, thus does not have real time progress or estimate to complete.

If you want to see status, open a shell or ssh terminal and use the smartctl commands

smartctl -a /dev/ada{n}

Depending on which test you run, you may see an increase in drive temperature, but may or may not hear any audible change since the disks are always spinning when powered.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Many drives will report the percent completed if you ask with smartctl -a, while others do not. A few will actually abort ongoing tests if you query. :-/

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
Many drives will report the percent completed if you ask with smartctl -a, while others do not. A few will actually abort ongoing tests if you query. :-/
Thank you very much. I will probably not try it then since I am more than mid-way.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, usually you want to test in the first few minutes to see if that's actually a problem. Sorry. :-(

Some of the other NAS units (I think maybe the QNAP) will report a progress bar based on the smartctl output for drives known to behave well, and fake it based on the time for others.