Problems after upgrading to 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

s710

Cadet
Hello,

I've been running 0.7.2 for a while now, and decided to switch to 8.0 today. My hardware is a mini-ITX with D525 Atom, along with 2GBs of RAM and 3 hard drives:
- 1x 16GB SSD for the system
- 2x 2TB green drives for the storage

The big drives are configured as mirrored raid, and after booting my raid bios will show both drives as active raid configuration.

Now, after installing 8.0 from scratch on the 16GB drive, I can't seem to select my raid drive in the freenas gui. Iirc, I was presented 3 devices under freenas 0.7.2 - that is ad* (twice) which were the two 2TB drives, as well as a ra* device, which was the raid volume.
On 8.0, I can use the import volume function, but I can only select either ada0p1 or ada1p1, both shown as 2TB drives, but I can't seem to find my raid volume. I didnt select anything yet, because I'm afraid I would only write data to one of the drives of the raid. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I tried to install a package using pkg_add -r, but I got plenty of errors that the var space is full. df actually showed:

Code:
freenas# df -h
Filesystem             Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a    458M    399M     22M    95%    /
devfs                  1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md0               4.4M    2.3M    1.8M    57%    /etc
/dev/md1               686K    6.0K    626K     1%    /mnt
/dev/md2                75M     12M     56M    18%    /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4      20M    341K     18M     2%    /data

How can I fix this problem, so I can install packages? Also, why doesn't freenas use the full space of the 16GB drive? I remember under 0.7 I was prompted how much space for the partitions I want, now it seems I got some default partitions that don't make use of all the space available :(

Code:

freenas# pkg_add -r openjdk6
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release/Latest/openjdk6.tbz...
/var: write failed, filesystem is full
openjdk6/jre/lib/rt.jar: Write failed

/var: write failed, filesystem is full
openjdk6/jre/lib/security/cacerts: Write failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/security/java.policy: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/security/java.security: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/security/local_policy.jar: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/sound.properties: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Abidjan: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Accra: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Addis_Ababa: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Algiers: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Asmara: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Bamako: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Bangui: Seek failed
openjdk6/jre/lib/zi/Africa/Banjul: Seek failed

...... many more errors. aborted it.

ProtoSD

MVP
Please read the FAQ in my signature below, that'll answer several of your questions.

Are you using the hardware mirroring of your RAID card? If so, that'll cause problems, but also 8.0 may not have a driver for it.

s710

Cadet
Please read the FAQ in my signature below, that'll answer several of your questions.

Are you using the hardware mirroring of your RAID card? If so, that'll cause problems, but also 8.0 may not have a driver for it.

I don't have a raid card. I'm using the onboard raid. How can 8 not have a driver, when 7 did ... ? Anyway, ill check the FAQ.

Elshar

Cadet
I don't have a raid card. I'm using the onboard raid. How can 8 not have a driver, when 7 did ... ? Anyway, ill check the FAQ.

The onboard raid (as well as the 'cheap' raid cards) are always actually software raid, the card is just an interface. That's why you see ra# as well as multiple ad#'s. The driver gets installed and then re-routes all reads/writes from ra# to both ad#'s.

In short: You're probably better off using ZFS over 'software' raid. I'd migrate your data off, create a ZFS array and use that. The best part of that? If you move the array to another FBSD system, it can and will pick up the ZFS array and everything works as if nothing had ever happened. Also, it can be read just fine by emergency boot disks, etc.

s710

Cadet
I already thought about using ZFS. I could save my data and and create an ZFS volume.

However I'm not familiar with ZFS, I'm afraid it won't work well with my low performance hardware (1.8ghz atom, 2gb ram, only 2x 2TB drives). Will it run worse than the current onboard solution?

ProtoSD

MVP
It runs great on an Atom, it's what I'm using. You just need to make sure you have more RAM (4GB).

s710

Cadet
Since my tiny box has only 2GBs of ram, i decided not to pick ZFS. I disabled the onboard raid and created a gmirror instead:

Code:
freenas# gmirror status
      Name    Status  Components
mirror/gm0  COMPLETE  ada0 (ACTIVE)
                      ada1 (ACTIVE)

When i try to import the volume, it is not in the list of available devices. i only see ada0 and ada1. when i try to auto-import the volumes, the gm0 device is listed in the dropdown box, however importing it gives the following error:

The selected disks were not verified for this import rules

What should i do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.