Problem with users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkaine

Explorer
So I've been setting up a second NAS for me to keep college documents and any projects and such on. Nothing much just something to keep ALL my school stuff in one place. However unlike my other NAS (Which anyone can access whenever on our local network) I want to be the only one able to access it.

So I setup a new NAS made a new user, made the user the owner of the share, and played with a few different settings. However whenever I try to access it Via Windows 7 I put my credentials in and then it asks for different ones. also in XP it doesn't ask for credentials but obviously won't let me in.

If I allow all in the mode section of volume properties then I can access, edit and everything but, so can everyone else.

I know there is a How-to but would that work for what I want to do? I don't need multi user access or anything, just me.

Thanks in advance.

Also here are the specs (Will be added to sig soon)
[NAS 2]
FreeNAS 8.0.1 Beta4
Another Random Mobo I had
Celeron 2.4GHz (Have quite a bit of them)
512MB RAM (Hey, it works)
10GB HDD (OS Drive)
120GB HDD UFS (Data Drive)

(Might make a beefier 3rd one soon for fun)

ProtoSD

MVP
I think this is a Windows related problem, but I can't remember what it is. I could be wrong.

what are the permissions on the folder, it's parents
what are your samba configurations (smb.conf)
if you add the user to the sshd group, can you ssh in and navigate to the folder and utilize it

Darkaine

Explorer
@protosd
Normally, I'd agree, but since its worked on Windows XP Based Servers before, plus it happens on XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 Ultimate SP3 then I'd guess its a problem with the way I set it up. (And I'd hope its not a FreeNAS Error)

@Matthewwowen01
1. Its root so not an actual folder. (Or is it?)
2. How do I find that?
3. Also I don't know how to SSH since its not a feature I need.

Helpful, aren't I?

Darkaine

Explorer
Enjoy vegas mate.

ok first up, lets enable ssh. go to the services tab, hit the settings button for ssh and make sure the 'Login as Root with password' is Unchecked and 'Allow Password Authentication' is checked.

next, add the user to the sshd group.go to users, then view all users, click the 'auxiliary groups' button fot the user and add them.

if your running a non windows system, pull up a console and type 'ssh TheUser@YouServer' then type your password when prompted. if you're on a windows box, download Putty
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

run it, enter the server's IP, then click connect. enter your username, then the password.

by this point you should be connected and see a shell. now try and cd into the directory you are sharing.

cd /mnt/pool/folder

if it chokes, you've got a file system permissions problem, if it works, try to create a folder and a file (mkdir test, touch testFile)

let me know what happens.

Darkaine

Explorer
It just says no file or directory. The share is on the path /mnt/HDD0/ and I've tried

cd /mnt/pool/HDD0
cd /mnt/HDD0

is that a file system permission problem? or my idiocy? (Networking and SQL are the only things that confuse me anymore lol)

Svere

Dabbler
Ive got the same problem. (Made a thread open for this). I followed the instucktions from matthew. I added my Users to sshd, made a new share, with permissions for my Account and the groupp sshd. Downloaded putty, typed in the NASS-IP and connected. By typing in my Account-Data, ive got the error message" Acces denied". So it looks like a different problem as Drakaine, because he got access. If there are any other ideas i would be glad. Can i check, if the FreeNas was installed correctly on the CF-Card? (hope my english can be understand^^)

Darkaine, try changing the directory to /mnt then using ls to see what's inside.

cd /mnt
ls -l

let me know what that gives you.

Svere, did you start the sshd service?

Status
Not open for further replies.