Preferred way to remove HDD after volume deattched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Reynolds

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there's a preferred way of remove a hard drive after it's volume has been detached?

This is for my offsite backup drives. On a Friday our replica server has 4 HDD's inserted, the zvol imported, and a replication task kicks off later that night to copy everything over to it. On Monday I come in, detach the volume via the GUI, remove the HDDs, box them up, and off site they go.

In FreeNAS 9.2 a console message just popped up saying the drives had been removed. But in 9.3 it causes a critical alert and I need to untick the events to make the alert box return to green in the GUI.

While I get the server is annoyed having the drives removed and it warrants a critical alert, however the volume is already detached and the removal intentional. Is there a preferred/better way to physically remove the HDDs in this situation and not cause critical alerts?

Note, this isn't actually causing any problems other that my dislike of seeing flashing red alert in the GUI (and nobody likes that)!

Thanks!
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.