Power Question about FreeNAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I need to calculate maximum power draw of my FreeNAS server for the purpose of electrical load safety in my home.

If I perform a scrub on my pool and measure the draw @ my UPS, will the power drawn during that process be of sufficient use to accurately calculate the potential maximum power load for that unit?

And yes I'm aware that the numbers would be affected by hardware changes and therefore are not static.

Linkman

Patron
I would guess either then, since all the drives are working, or during boot when the drives are first spinning up. Your scenario I would think would be the max steady state load. Does a scrub stress the CPU as well?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
My server is using (during a scrub) 0.91666 amps (figured as 110VA divided by 120volts).
My understanding is a scrub is basically a read only process, not really a maximum power load.
The goal here is to either simulate, or calculate, potential max power used by the machine
during usage by a large number of clients. Thus giving me the max electrical load.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Does a scrub stress the CPU as well?
As seen by the shot below of the E3-1230 V2 during the scrub? No...
Capture.JPG

Linkman

Patron
So yeah, you're gonna need to get those drives spinning, and the CPU loaded... transcoding media streams maybe? Or run a scrub to stress the drives, and then run Prime or something to stress the CPU?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the easy option is to just take the PSU's rated power.

Status
Not open for further replies.