Posts "edited by a moderator"

How do you feel about moderators fixing minor mistakes (such as it's/its or their/there/they're)?

• Give 'em free rein.

• Don't let them edit at all unless it's to moderate things.

• Minor, single-word or expression fixes are fine.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BigDave wait is that second picture the official community hat?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Look at @BigDave gettin all legalease with his forthwith. :D

Mlovelace

Guru
The poll asked "How do you feel about moderators fixing minor mistakes (such as it's/its or their/there/they're)?" I took that question at face value, and I'm okay with that. Changing content that is not offensive or context is not what the poll asked. If that type of editing becomes the norm then I'll just move on from the forums.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@BigDave wait is that second picture the official community hat?
I was just having fun with @Ericloewe posted response to my propeller beanie cap picture attachment.:p
To be honest, I'm not privy to the history behind this logo stuff. AFAIK the horns and the Beastie logo belong to FreeBSD (on which FreeNAS is based),
but iX seems to have just adopted the horns as looking at the second picture clearly shows.

Look at @BigDave gettin all legalease with his forthwith. :D
:D
You have to keep a sense of humor right?

I'd note that @Ericloewe posted the poll, and though it gets the idea, there are some corners it doesn't touch.
I think that is why a lot of responses (including mine) have referenced the wording of the poll question. You referenced the vote total being "surprising" and I think
most everyone is trying to say they are sympathetic to your position and are not "voting" against you.:)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I read jailers post, but if everyone just read it and silently agreed then you'd never build a consensus.
Wouldn't make for much of a discussion either.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I wrote exactly what I intended to write. @wblock, for reasons known only to him (as he's thus far not chosen to share them), changed it to something I did not intend to write.
I have explained this, but you have ignored it. As I said, I don't think there is any answer that will satisfy you. Let me try again, in excruciating detail:
1. (s) pluralization is a construct that means "one or more", as in "disk(s)".
2. Pluralization with a simpler "s" also means "one or more", as in "disks".
3. Simpler is better, particularly for non-native English speakers.
4. (s) pluralization is legalese, suitable for tax forms, also very popular with lazy programmers since the 1970s. (Yes, I'm working to fix the remaining instances of it in our software and documentation.)
5. So replace (s) legalese which is not needed in this case with the simpler form with the same meaning.

There was no intention to change the meaning of your post, and I say it did not. I acknowledge that you disagree.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
So, I don't want anyone else fiddling with things in a small way. Removing or excising sections of posts, for cause, is OK because it's obvious.
Wait, making minor corrections is bad, but removing whole sections is okay? That's... an interesting take. Don't you think removing whole sections could easily change the meaning of a post, which is the concern here?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
What I mean is, excising and noting that action, e.g. "removed by mod due to personal attack", is OK with me.

snip*
2. Pluralization with a simpler "s" also means "one or more", as in "disks".
snip*

Is that correct i was under the impression just "s" means more than one in all cases?

fracai

Guru
Presumably another moderator will come along and correct that typo...

danb35

Hall of Famer

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey everyone. Thanks for contributing to the poll. I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I'll state my thoughts on this in case anyone would like to hear my perspective. There are some posts I've had trouble understanding because they were atrocious grammatically. In fairness, that is rare and usually from newly registered members. I'm not big on editing posts over spelling in general, but I feel like there are times it's helpful. For instance, If a new user makes a post about FreeNAS that is chocked full of grammos and looks like they face-rolled their keyboard, I would reason that not many people would answer that post. I believe that is the vast majority of the type of editing that takes place. For the amount of content created here on the forums, it is very rare for moderators and admins to edit posts based on inappropriate content. We just don't have that happening these days very much.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have explained this, but you have ignored it.
I've ignored nothing. Prior to this post, you'd "explained" only that you felt the (s) pluralization was "legalese", a characterization with which I disagreed and continue to disagree (and I think I know a thing or two about legalese). It's only in this post that you've stated your curious position that
Pluralization with a simpler "s" also means "one or more", as in "disks".
This is simply inconsistent with any English usage with which I'm familiar. That's why, in real legalese, there's often a paragraph that says something like "as used in this document, the singular includes the plural and vice versa, the masculine includes the feminine and neuter," and a number of other similar statements. That's used because ordinarily, in English, the plural does not include the singular. "Disks" necessarily means more than one disk.

You also note that the (s) pluralization has been used by "lazy programmers" for over 40 years, which would seem to counter your position that it's "legalese" (as programmers, by and large, aren't legal professionals).

But most tellingly, I think, you agree that the (s) pluralization does mean what I intended it to mean, which really proves my point: your edit wasn't correcting an error. At best (i.e., in the light most favorable to your action) it was an edit for style--you didn't like my stylistic choice, and took it upon yourself to change it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'll state my thoughts on this in case anyone would like to hear my perspective.
I appreciate hearing the position of another mod (as well as that of another of the admins). I'd be interested further in your thoughts on the type of edit that precipitated this thread--an edit not to correct a spelling or grammatical error, but to use a "simpler" style.

Status
Not open for further replies.