Possible to upgrade past version 1.3.0 ?

eightiesneo

Cadet
I installed the plugin a couple of days ago and the version reports as being v1.3.0, FreeBSD (64 bit)

On all my other instances of Syncthing (linux windows synology) it almost immediately updates itself to 1.3.4, however this does not.

I just wondered if there was a way to get this up to date, or if 1.3.0 is the latest available version for freenas (freebsd).

Does the person who packages this plugin ever visit these forums? If not is there a better place to ask such questions?

crfranck

Cadet
Same question. Syncthing release is now v1.5.0. Is there an upgrade path planned for the plugin? The port is currently at v1.4.0.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Jails set themselves to the quarterly PKG repository. (which currently shows that it has 1.4.0)

You need to create /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf inside the jail and set the contents to

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  signature_type: "fingerprints",
  fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
  enabled: yes
}

and run
pkg update
pkg upgrade

If you want to get the latest version ASAP.

At this time, it seems the latest port is still 1.4.0, so you will not see any newer version by making that change right now.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There's nothing stopping you from installing the latest FreeBSD version in a custom jail.

NASbox

Guru
I was looking at the syncthing web site and on the downloads page there is a FreeBSD tarball. I downloaded it and unpacked it to see what was in it, and it appeared that Syncthing is a single binary. Do you think that just ssbing into the Syncthing jail and replacing the syncthing binary with the one from the tarball would work. The tarball doesn't appear to be compiling or linking anything, so that makes me think the the binary is totally stand alone.

Thoughts on this?

EDIT: After upgrading from FreeNAS to TrueNAS 12.0-U5, and then updating the jails, I still had an older version of Syncthing. I went to the Syncthing web site and downloaded the FreeBSD tarball, extracted it, and then took the syncthing binary and copied it into the jail to replace the old version. I can't guarantee this works with every version, but it did get me upgraded to v18.1 which is current as of August 2021. Hope this is helpful.

It would be nice if plugins were better maintained, but for now this seems to be a decent work around. If anyone can provide a proper way to update the jail it would be very helpful.

Last edited: