Poor 10GbE through with TrueNAS 12.0-RC1

kspare

Guru
with 11.3U5 i'm getting 27G, on on RC1 i'm getting 9-12..ish...very odd.

I got widely varying results between iperf and iperf3. I thought it was software, but it turned out to be hardware.

kspare

Guru
I had a very similar issue with a T580 card. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it was the card. I replaced the adapter, and then I was getting 39G+ with iperf. Maybe there are knockoff or bad Chelsio cards being sold on eBay. That was the source of my bad one. It would be easier if they failed completely. :-(

Did you stick with the same card?

Yes, I did. It was just a bummer to troubleshoot when you only have two of something. I didn't really narrow it down to the card until I added 40G cards to the ESXi hosts and was able to get full rate transfer from one of the FreeNAS hosts, but not the other. I swapped the cards, switch ports, optics, etc. The problem always followed the card. All good with the replacement T580 now. Of course it was well out of the sellers warranty period before I figured all this out. :-(

kspare

Guru
How did you determine it was actually the card? anything specific to watch out for other than just trying it?

I needed a 3rd system to troubleshoot before I could make the determination. When I could get the expected performance between two of them, then I began swapping the parts around to see if it was switch port, fiber cables, optics, or PCIe slot. When it was clear to me it was the card, then I bought another one from a different seller. I would say the really high number of retries was the thing that made me the most suspicious, but I couldn't be sure until I had a 3rd 40G host.

Last edited:

kspare

Guru
I suggest you take a look at the 12 release that came out today. performance is amazing on it!

Brezlord

Contributor
It downloaded and I will update tonight and test with no running and see if it preformes better.