Pool Occupancy Query

tlauwk

Cadet
Hi,

Forgive the noobie question but just wanted to confirm my understanding of pool occupancy after reading various posts here. For context, I'm about to install Truenas Core onto a Dell R730xd for ESXi (8.0) virtual machine storage using iSCSI.

Dell R730xd:
  • 2x SAS HDD 300GB (for Truenas O/S)
  • 12x SAS HDD 8TB (for storage)
  • Dell PERC H330 (to be flashed to Dell HBA330 IT Mode)
  • 128GB RAM
For performance reasons, I'm supposed to keep my pool occupancy as low as possible. Lets say 50% occupancy for argument's sake so the math will be easier to present.

I'll create the following:
  • a pool consisting of 2-way mirrored vdevs (x6) so total pool size is 48TB (using up all 12 storage disks)
  • a zvol size of 48TB
  • map the zvol to ESXi and create the VM datastore
And I make sure the VM datastore never exceeds 50% utilization (or 24TB usage ... VMs are all thin provisioned).

Is this how a pool occupancy usage of 50% is calculated?

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
  • 2x SAS HDD 300GB (for Truenas O/S)
  • 12x SAS HDD 8TB (for storage)
Are those disks lying around? Because if they're not, going with SAS is just a waste of money in 99% of cases.
a pool consisting of 2-way mirrored vdevs (x6) so total pool size is 48TB (using up all 12 storage disks)
More like 43,6 TB.
a zvol size of 48TB
And I make sure the VM datastore never exceeds 50% utilization (or 24TB usage ... VMs are all thin provisioned).
Why not just make the zvol 24ish TB? That way you get a decent estimate of how much space is really available, given the 50% target, on the client's side.

tlauwk

Cadet
Are those disks lying around? Because if they're not, going with SAS is just a waste of money in 99% of cases.

More like 43,6 TB.

Why not just make the zvol 24ish TB? That way you get a decent estimate of how much space is really available, given the 50% target, on the client's side.
Yes, the disks are already available as its a decommissioned server that I'm re-purposing for Truenas.

Ah OK, so the zvol can be 50% of the pool. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.