Pool layout feedback

TheUsD

Contributor
Seeking to understand the pros and cons of configuring a pool.

The pool will contain 16 SSDs, 8 will be 1TB and the other 8 at 2TB. All IornWolf. I was thinking of doing 4 vdevs of RAIDZ1.

Question and clarification needed:

1. does RAIDZ1 for 4 vdevs mean that each vdev will accept 1 disk failure or does this mean the entire pool is only acceptable to one disk failure?

2. If I was ever to upgrade 4 of the 1TB vdevs, can I safely export those disks (all at once or one at a time while replacing each disk) and the data will be retained on the other disks in the vdev?

3. What would be the way to configure now for an upgrade in the future?

The storage contain is for VMs and storage but for a development environment. Do I care about losing data? Yes, to a point but again, it is a dev environment for my techs to spin up VMs, learn ESXi and vSphere as well as other applications and services they want to tinker with.

If there is a more reasonable way to layout the pool (or pools) I'm open to listen, understand and be educated upon.

Thanks for your time

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
does RAIDZ1 for 4 vdevs mean that each vdev will accept 1 disk failure or does this mean the entire pool is only acceptable to one disk failure?
I think you mostly understood it...

This is what you will get with 2 drive failures at the same time... red is pool loss, yellow is a degraded pool:

1648672420515.png

If I was ever to upgrade 4 of the 1TB vdevs, can I safely export those disks (all at once or one at a time while replacing each disk) and the data will be retained on the other disks in the vdev?
You can resilver one at a time and it will be fine, not all at once. (if you have space and ports available to do it, you can eliminate the risk of no redundancy by replacing the disk while it's still in the pool, otherwise, you risk pool loss while the resilvering happens)

1. What would be the way to configure now for an upgrade in the future?

The storage contain is for VMs and storage but for a development environment. Do I care about losing data? Yes, to a point but again, it is a dev environment for my techs to spin up VMs, learn ESXi and vSphere as well as other applications and services they want to tinker with.

If there is a more reasonable way to layout the pool (or pools) I'm open to listen, understand and be educated upon.
If you want to see any kind of performance that won't suck, you'll need to do mirrors. RAIDZ1 is no good for block storage behind VMs... https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-path-to-success-for-block-storage.81165/

TheUsD

Contributor
@sretalla

Thank you for the reply. What I understood from your graph is:

If a single disk fails in vdev, the the zpool will go to degraded. Should 4 disks fail in a vdev, the zpool fails. Should more than 4 disks in 4 separate vdevs fail, the pool fails.

Heracles

Wizard
If a single disk fails in vdev, the the zpool will go to degraded.
Right

Should 4 disks fail in a vdev, the zpool fails.
Well... Yes but that will be true as soon as 2 failed disks in a Raid-Z1 vDev. No need to loose them all.

Should more than 4 disks in 4 separate vdevs fail, the pool fails.
Actually, the moment any single vDev looses 2 drive, the pool is lost.

sretalla