Plex unable to see video files

gswhiteuk

Dabbler
I have installed plex and have a base installation. I have created and exposed within the plex apo a directory called 'movies'.

I then followed this guide:

------------------------------

In TrueNAS proper, you need a UID/GID (user/group) that matches the one automatically created in the Plex jail. When the plexmediaserver daemon runs in the background (inside your jail), the process is owned by the user ID 972 (which is the user "plex").

In order to access the folder (and the subfolders and files within), your real media folder in TrueNAS ("Plex_Media") needs to allow the UID 972 and/or GID 972 permission. This can be applied in the GUI for the dataset's permissions, or in the CLI. You can use either the traditional Unix permissions method or the more nuanced ACL method. (You should apply it "recursively" so that it applies to all your subfolders and files.)

In order for the above to work and make sense, you should also create this "plex" user/group (972/972) under Accounts -> Users, something like so:

image001.png

Doing this should automatically create a group named "plex" with the GID 972. If not, then you need to make one manually under Accounts -> Groups, and set the user's Primary Group to it.

--------------------------

I have followed the instructions and made sure the dataset permissions are set correctly, and the user and group are also recursively set correctly, but I am unable to see any movies at all!

I have pretty much tried everything I can, although I am new to TrueNAS and I may be taking the wrong direction.

Can anyone help or offer advice, please? I am kinda stuck :)

thanks in advance
Gary

LarsR

Guru
Have you set up a hostpath or nfs share from your media folder to your plex app?
The guide you followed is most likely for truenas core, because most apps for scale use the user 568 called apps.

gswhiteuk

Dabbler
Hi there, yes I set a hostpath for the /movies folder.

I will check the folder and re-create the user with the new UID/GID :) and give it a try, thanks.

LarsR

Guru
Ok, then back to square one.
Which version of plex did you install? The official app, iX community, blue launch docker button or truecharts?
iX community and truecharts should be using the apps user. It's been a long time since i've used offical apps i can't remember which user it uses.

I found the truecharts apps to be the easiest to setup
If you want to try out truecharts here are some of their guides to get startet

gswhiteuk

Dabbler
Hi LarsR, thanks for coming back.

I am using the official app, but I have not added any custom catalogs as yet.

I have set overall full permission to a directory called movies and made sure the apps/apps UID and GID are applied and all subfolders inherit permissions. I have checked this on the command line and everything looks good.

I am at work at the moment but may set up a new /media dataset and start from scratch.

I will have a read of the truechart documents as well, many thanks

gswhiteuk

Dabbler
So I found this video on TrueNAS Scale, published in June 2023. And he has nailed it.

The only change I did is when creating the dataset, I set the dataset to 'app' instead of 'generic'

Created the SMB Share and then created the directories required and voila! All works.

Plex on TrueNAS Scale