Plex unable to access internally but can access externally

Status
Not open for further replies.

codemaster

Dabbler
I'm wrecking my brain trying to figure this out. The Plex plugin will not allow me to access the server internally however when I go to the website and log in I'm able to access, edit, play, and view everything. When trying to manually type in the ip address along with :32400/web/index.html it takes me to a page that says no data received. The same thing happens when I try clicking on the plugin and then on the word "here". I've double checked my ip settings for the jail and the jail configuration. All of that looks to be good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Yes I suppose it's not the end of the world since I can access it by going to the website and logging in, but I'd like to have everything fully working. Thanks! =)

I've also checked the /var/log/messages and nothing looks out of the ordinary, but if you'd like I can post any of that information.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Did you see that the plex forums were hacked, and plex is forcing users to change passwords. Could be a side affect.

codemaster

Dabbler
Yes I did see that. Luckily I don't seem to be one of those people who's information was compromised. I was reading that only the people who were affected received an email about it.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
Did you install Plex in its own jail?
Only installation of PMS on the network?
Did you start the plugin from the GUI? Plugins>Installed>Service Status

adrianwi

Guru
Check your PMS settings - Settings > Server > Network > Show Advanced - and add the IP address of the client(s) you are trying to connect from into the "List of networks that are allowed without auth" box in the format nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/24 with commas separating multiple values.

Only people with the same login details for both plex.tv and the forums were affected, as it was the forum data the was compromised.

codemaster

Dabbler
@itchiTriGgeR - Yes I installed Plex on it's own jail and is also the only installation on the network. I also tried stopping and starting the plugin using the GUI. Unfortunately it's still doing the same thing.

@AdrianWilliamson - I'll try that. I didn't notice that feature/option in the settings. I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thanks!

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
Check your PMS settings - Settings > Server > Network > Show Advanced - and add the IP address of the client(s) you are trying to connect from into the "List of networks that are allowed without auth" box in the format nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/24 with commas separating multiple values.
It my understanding that this setting is just so you don't come across the log in screen as my list s empty. I'm curious if this makes an improvement .

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
From the shell inside plexmediaserver_1 jail, enter
Code:
sockstat -4l

We'll see if that plex is listening on 32400 like it should.

Last edited:

codemaster

Dabbler
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # sockstat -4l
USER COMMAND PID FD PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS
plex python 5715 4 tcp4 *:12810 *:*
plex python 5710 4 tcp4 *:12704 *:*
plex python 75655 4 tcp4 *:52756 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 12 udp4 *:1900 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 15 tcp4 *:1472 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 18 udp4 *:3653 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 21 udp4 *:3021 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 24 tcp4 *:32469 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 27 udp4 *:38411 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 30 udp4 *:49898 *:*
plex Plex DLNA 75651 62 udp4 *:13109 *:*
plex python 75645 10 tcp4 *:18722 *:*
root python2.7 69629 3 tcp4 192.168.1.10:12346 *:*
plex Plex Media 69380 52 tcp4 *:32400 *:*
plex Plex Media 69380 53 tcp4 *:32401 *:*
root syslogd 69330 7 udp4 *:514 *:*

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
Hi codemaster, thank you for the info. It looks like your PMS isn't listening to the same ports as mine. The 32400 is the port that allows the remote connection so we see that and you said that you can connect from outside your LAN. But you should have more under the
Code:
plex Plex Media 69380 52 tcp4 *:32400 *:*
plex Plex Media 69380 53 tcp4 *:32401 *:*

with your local address with a couple different ports. Was this a fresh jail? Are you using IPv4?
I am in no way a Guru but I saw you needed help and thought I would take a stab at it. The issue is definitely the jail or plugin not having that local info. We have to figure out why. Run through the jail and make sure the settings are right. Make sure you are using IPv4. not 6.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
From the shell of PMS jail, type
Code:
netstat -nr

please

codemaster

Dabbler
This was indeed a fresh jail and I am using IPv4 not 6. It looks to be configured correctly under the jail. netstat looks correct so I'm thinking I might try a fresh install of Plex to see if it fixes the issue. Was just trying to not do that because that's a lot of metadata to download again lol. What's weird is it was working before but not now and I haven't made any changes to the jail.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
This was indeed a fresh jail and I am using IPv4 not 6. It looks to be configured correctly under the jail. netstat looks correct so I'm thinking I might try a fresh install of Plex to see if it fixes the issue. Was just trying to not do that because that's a lot of metadata to download again lol. What's weird is it was working before but not now and I haven't made any changes to the jail.
You can save the Metadata of the current plex install, so you don't have to do over. I'm at work, don't know the exact location of it. I know this might be a dumb question, but is jail started? I know you said the plugin is, but the jail itself, is that running? I don't think it's a plex issue, I think it's a jail issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

codemaster

Dabbler
You can save the Metadata of the current plex install, so you don't have to do over. I'm at work, don't know the exact location of it. I know this might be a dumb question, but is jail started? I know you said the plugin is, but the jail itself, is that running? I don't think it's a plex issue, I think it's a jail issue.

Yes, it should be. I tried stopping and starting it from the jail location in the GUI.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
On the jails tab, you'll see a table with all your jails and their status. Should say running.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
? I'm perPLEXed. sorry, I had to. [emoji3] [emoji12] But seriously, that's weird. I searched everywhere last night for an instance of this happening. Doesn't help that plex Forum is down due to their breech (at least it was still last night) . When I get home I'm going to look some more. I will also post my socket stats so you can see where there should be more Plex Media ports after the DLNA ports. If you decide to install plex again, make a new jail and install and test it. And if it works copy the Metadata DB over to the new jail. Sorry I'm not too much help.

Last edited:

codemaster

Dabbler
Haha.

That's probably what I'm going to do. Let me know where to find the Plex metadata and I'll probably do that very soon. I appreciate all of your help :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Haha.

That's probably what I'm going to do. Let me know where to find the Plex metadata and I'll probably do that very soon. I appreciate all of your help :)
recent versions of the plex plugin keep metadata in /var/db/plexdata

I suggest running a second instance of plex, making sure it works, before deleting the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.