Plex permissions nightmare

gabsd

Dabbler
I installed Plex in FreeNAS 11.2 following the iXsystems YouTube Tutorial. I created a "media" dataset and set its ownership to plexuser and the group "family". When the PlexServer plugin is installed, and the mountpoints are set, the ownership of "media" is changed to the group "972". So now the dataset "media" is invisible to everybody except plexuser. I want this dataset to be available to plex AND to everybody in the group "family" so that, for example, kids can transfer a song to their phone or wife can upload photos to the dataset.
Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to duplicate the dataset, one copy for Plex and another for "normal" users? Does anybody know a less frustrating alternative to Plex? Or to FreeNAS??

garm

Wizard
mixing smb shares and datasets for jails isn’t trivial. If you set up the smb shares properly, they are no longer set up correctly for use with jails. If you’re using the plugin you have limited ability to interact with the jail.

you need to pass ACLs through to the jail if you want this setup, personally I would not manage media content with shares but with the application directly, if Plex isn’t able todo that then yes, maybe you should find something else.

personally I use Nextcloud as the “front end” of my server

gabsd

Dabbler
mixing smb shares and datasets for jails isn’t trivial. If you set up the smb shares properly, they are no longer set up correctly for use with jails. If you’re using the plugin you have limited ability to interact with the jail.

you need to pass ACLs through to the jail if you want this setup, personally I would not manage media content with shares but with the application directly, if Plex isn’t able todo that then yes, maybe you should find something else.

personally I use Nextcloud as the “front end” of my server
Thanks! I don't know what Nextcloud is, but will look into it.
I ahve passes ACLs through the jails, and it used to work before, when I had "folders" inside one share. I now have "folders" inside a dataset inside a share. Your reply made me realize that I should have shares to the datasets inside the shares - I will try that.

strebor71

Cadet
I would not manage media content with shares but with the application directly, if Plex isn’t able todo that then yes, maybe you should find something else.
Is it even possible to add media with plex? That really can't be, that you can't manage content of your media library from shares. How else are you supposed to add content to your library? If there is even a chance that plex is going to screw up my media library then plex is going away. there is no way I am going to duplicate my near 750 GiB dataset so plex can be happy. I'll just go back to using Kodi.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If there is even a chance that plex is going to screw up my media library then plex is going away. [...] I'll just go back to using Kodi.

And what's your basis for thinking that Kodi can't screw up your media library?

Are the Plex or Kodi forums filled with posts of enraged users who have lost their media libraries because the application in question screwed up their media libraries?

Just pointing out that this is a bit silly. Unfortunately, it sounds like the permissions/ACL thing is a real issue.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That really can't be, that you can't manage content of your media library from shares.
No, it isn't, and nobody suggested otherwise. What was suggested was to use the application to manage the data, which in the case of Plex (as well as any reasonable alternative) isn't really possible.
there is no way I am going to duplicate my near 750 GiB dataset so plex can be happy.
I have no idea what gave you, or OP, the idea that this would be in any way beneficial, much less necessary.