PLEX permission issues (default password??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Please be gentle as I'm a noob to FreeNas and only have some limited experience with the Unix system.

I see this has been covered numerous times in countless threads already but I can't quite find the exact information that I'm after.

I've created the following datasets:

/mnt/Data/Home-Videos - Owner - root Group - HomeUsers rwxrwx---
/mnt/Data/Photos - Owner - root Group - HomeUsers rwxrwx---
/mnt/Data/Videos/Music/Apps - Owner - root Group - Public rwxrwx---

I've mapped Storage from plex like so:

/media/Home-Videos > /mnt/Data/Home-Videos
/media/Photos > /mnt/Data/Photos
/media/Music > /mnt/Data/Videos-Music-Apps/Music
/media/Movies > /mnt/Data/Videos-Music-Apps/Videos/Movies
/media/TV > /mnt/Data/Videos-Music-Apps/Videos/TV

I've created a plex user and group with UID and GID of 972 and made the plex user have a Primary Group membership of HomeUsers with Aux groups of plex and Public. I have tried a blank password and password of plex for this user.

Now I would have thought that this would have gave plex enough permissions to allow it to access my datasets and populate the media server with content but apparently not.

If I change my datasets to rwxrwxr-x to allow guest users plex functions fantastic but I don't want this.

I plan on making certain datasets on my NAS accessible via the Internet so don't want guest users with a blank password being able to access ALL of my data for the sake of getting plex working.

Does plex have a default password? Is it something as simple as this where I am going wrong? I must be missing something simple but every thread I've read so far just says change the permissions to 777 but this isn't a secure option for me.

To assist I have been getting the following messages when I look at the physical FreenNAS box:

plexmediaserver_1 cron[82025]: login_getclass: unknown class daemon'

plexmediaserver_1 cron[82025]: secure_path: /etc/login.conf is world writable

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Col

I removed the PlexMedia Server plugin last night and reinstalled. The errors received before have gone but I am now seeing the following error:

plexmediaserver_1sendmail[18638] : NOQUEUE: SYSERR(operator): cn not chdir(var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied

Is this a permission denied within the jail or to the actual Freenas file system?

I'm still convinced that if I can get the plex credentials correct this will work or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

Col

Just thought I would post this incase anyone else has this issue. I managed to resolve this tonight. Not entirely happy with the method I used but it works so that's the main thing.

Although I had created a plex user and group and made plex a member of my HomeUsers group which has access to the files necessary it still couldn't access the files.

So I decided to go about this a different way. I changed the group ownership on my freenas datasets from HomeUsers to plex and gave any user that should have access to these areas auxiliary group access to the plex group with the exception of the Publicly available folder. I changed this to owner plex and retained the group as public so that these users can still only access this folder and not the others:

/mnt/Data/Home-Videos - Owner - root Group - plex rwxrwx---
/mnt/Data/Photos - Owner - root Group - plex rwxrwx---
/mnt/Data/Videos-Music-Apps - Owner - plex Group - Public rwxrwx---

This allowed me to retain my security on my files/folders while allowing plex to access the files it required.

Happy bunny now. Really enjoying tinkering with FreeNas :smile:

Cheers,

Col

Status
Not open for further replies.