Plex causing FreeNAS reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
When I try and run a 4k transcode video all sorts of problems ensue. It starts playing then warns me the server is not fast enough to play the video, then it plays normally for a few more seconds. Then the GUI for freenas stops reponding. Then my other plugins start becoming unavailable. The video stops and then all plugins are not reachable. Then I hear the server making the reboot sound...

Running
Plex
Sonarr
SabNZBd
Couchpotato

Signature specs are accurate.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sounds like it's overheating. What are your CPU temps when this is happening?

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Hmm... Hadn't thought of that. I will check later today. I did just move it to a less airy area...

Where can I view the temps?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Check your IPMI page and see if there are any warnings or log messages there. If it has rebooted because of some sort of error it will be listed.

Last edited by a moderator:

scrappy

Patron
4k transcoding requires some serious hardware. I've watched all 24 of my dual X5660 CPU logical cores jump to 100% usage when Plex begins transcoding my 1080P HEVC movies. 4k requires that x4. I have a feeling your CPU is not capable of handling 4k transcoding and like @Jailer said, it might even be overheating.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
@scrappy - I read that when transcoding starts it will max any cpu for the first load of the buffer. I had transcoded 4k before and it did fine, but that was a while back.

IPMI I had system logging off but it did have fan errors spinning to slow. I set in bios to FULL all time and the errors whet away. I had removed plex and am installing it back now... Thanks for your help Jailer I will comment back after I get a solid test.

scrappy

Patron
@scrappy - I read that when transcoding starts it will max any cpu for the first load of the buffer. I had transcoded 4k before and it did fine, but that was a while back.

IPMI I had system logging off but it did have fan errors spinning to slow. I set in bios to FULL all time and the errors whet away. I had removed plex and am installing it back now... Thanks for your help Jailer I will comment back after I get a solid test.

Yep. It will use all the CPU available to start the stream, play through that buffer then repeat the process as your video playback progresses.

Hopefully in your case the fans were the issue and it's nothing more serious. Will be interested to find out if that fixed it.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
It was over heating... I was testing transcoding 4k to 4k with fire tv as it doesn't support mkv so it transcodes. That will not play smoothly for me... 4k to 1080p 20mb bitrate stuttered a couple of times then played fine. All this while my other plugings were running. Thanks a lot!!

I noticed before I switched my fans to FULL SPEED in the bios, they were spinning so slow no air was being moved... I'm such an "air flow" guy odd I didn't notice it... Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.