Please check my build: 2U Supermicro, SYS-6027R-3RF4+

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfryman

Dabbler
My current home server is 7 years old, and was old technology even when I bought it. I use an Intel SS4200-E running OpenMediaVault. I've upgraded it over the years, but it's no longer able to keep up with our needs. It's got an Intel Core2 Duo E4700 @ 2.6ghz with only 2GB RAM (max possible). The biggest issue is that it can only take max 2GB capacity drives, and the 4x2GB drives are now full. Also, the system is not able to keep up with plex transcoding when I have more than a couple users, or depending on the source file it struggles to keep up with a single 1080p stream (although it does better than I initially expected).

The replacement server will have 5 adults and 3 children as primary users, with the potential for additional remote users of plex as well. I am looking at starting with 16 or 18TB of storage. The system must be capable of at least 3 simultaneous plex streams. It will store my media library, home movies, photos, personal and work files. It will also serve as primary backup for all the house PCs: currently 2 desktops & 3 laptops. Also everyone has their own tablet.

My budget is ~$2k. I'm disappointed with the cost vs. performance of brand new hardware so have been looking primarily at used servers. I strongly am considered the Dell C2100 based on the linked thread but it seems a tad out-of-date... I came across a local deal on a used server that I'd like some input on:

Case:
Supermicro SC825TQ-R740LPB (8 Drive bays, 2x 740W platinum power supplies)

MB:
Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+

CPUs:
(Dual) Intel Xeon E5-2690 2.9Ghz Eight Core CPU - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2690+@+2.90GHz&id=1223&cpuCount=2

RAM: 64GB RAM (8x 8GB) - I don't know the manufacturer, it's already installed and tested (per seller)

RAID Card:
LSI 9260-8i - I think this could be a problem since it doesn't have a passthrough option for ZFS. But I think I could re-sell this one and use the money to buy a ZFS-compatible model?

NIC:
Installed Intel X520-DA2 Dual 10GB SFP+ NIC (no optics)
4x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports; Intel® i350 Quad port GbE controller

I can get the above setup for $1250 (used) locally. Perhaps a tad overkill, but the price seems pretty good in my limited experience.
Seems to be the same as a bare-bones system still being sold on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=SYS-6027R-3RF4+-_-16-101-693-_-Product
It's used but comes with two pretty decent processors.

For the hard drives I was thinking about either 4x4TB or 6x3TB drives. I was going to go with Seagate NAS or WD Red drives.
But someone recommended enterprise SAS drives, which are a little more expensive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A45JFJS/?tag=ozlp-20

I don't know much about SAS, but seems like it's better for multiple simultaneous users. I have noticed that my current home server can maintain 100MB/sec transfer with a single user, but when other users come on it drops ALOT.

Advice, suggestions, comments? Please and Thank you!

Dice

Wizard
Advice, suggestions, comments?
Do you have a "away from habited area" location to put your server?
They are noisy. Not the 'gaming PC at full tilt'-noisy. SM are NOOOOOIISYYYY.

pschatz100

Guru
Do you have a "away from habited area" location to put your server?
They are noisy. Not the 'gaming PC at full tilt'-noisy. SM are NOOOOOIISYYYY.
Not only noisy, but this system will be a power hog as well. And don't forget you have to cool this beast.

As for drive suggestions, you didn't say anything about how much data capacity you need. Assuming RaidZ2, you will end up with 8GB (prior to formatting) with 4x4tb drives or 12Gb (prior to formatting) with 6x3tb drives. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter if you use Seagate NAS or WD Red drives.

sfryman

Dabbler
TY for the input.

I was going to install in a rack in the "Utilities" area of my home, which is a back room with the furnace & water heater. It is behind walls/closed door. Noise is mitigated but maybe still a concern for nearby living areas, if the noise level is ridiculous.

My current home server has 6TB useable and is completely full, so much that I'm forced to move/delete media weekly to keep the thing running. I think 6x3TB (12TB useable) is probably where I'm heading. I might even go with 6x4TB drives.

As for the power issue, I hear that as well. Within my budget there are options marketed for the consumer or small-business from multiple manufacturers including Netgear, QNAP, WD, Synology, and even IXSystems' "FreeNAS mini". The problem I have with these solutions is that they all seem to be designed as NAS-only devices. I am confident they will be fine for backup and file storage but I am afraid they will fall short of expectations for transcoding.

Plex recommends passmark scores of 2000 x number of streams (assuming HD content), which in my case is ~6000 Passmark. All the NAS solutions I've seen use Intel Atom processors, which have impressively low power consumption but mediocre performance in the 3000 to 4000 range.

The Supermicro option I initially proposed has a 20,000 passmark score, which in retrospect I admit is not just a "tad" overkill but more like in the loony-bin range. I'm still tempted to get it for tinkering (ooooh the powwah!..maybe I could learn about virtual machines?), but putting FreeNAS on this thing now seems grossly over the top.

Surely there are other people in a similar situation who can recommend something between these two extremes?
Basically I'm looking for a 6x3.5" bay server with 6000 passmark (minimum), reasonable-power consumption at ~$2000 (inclusive of storage).

Thanks.

kckopp

Dabbler
Surely there are other people in a similar situation who can recommend something between these two extremes?
Basically I'm looking for a 6x3.5" bay server with 6000 passmark (minimum), reasonable-power consumption at ~$2000 (inclusive of storage).

I am in the same boat, except I've got enough storage, I'm just looking to up my transcoding game, and like you, I am looking at what may be (loony-bin) overkill, but am trying to do it on the cheap (MB, Proc, RAM ~$400).

With your budget, keeping with your passmark requirement, and if you're not tied to rack mount or hot swap, I'd do something like below.
  • Fractal Design R5, 8x 3.5 and 2x 2.5 bays, Newegg $110
  • WD Red 4TB x6, Newegg $880
  • SeaSonic S12G-550, Newegg $80
  • Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O, Newegg $210
  • Xeon E3-1220 v5, passmark 7,453, Newegg $207
  • 16 GB x2 DDR4-2133 ECC RAM, Newegg $254
Puts you at ~$1,750 and leaves you to decide about what you want for a boot drive (re-purpose an old drive. grab new or used small SSD, ...). This setup would sip power and would be super quiet too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.