please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My situation:
I have an old computer which I want to use for creating a NAS. The computer has a CD-ROM-drive, a USB-drive (from which I can NOT boot) and a 160 GB HDD. The HDD is empty and I want to store our files onto that HDD, devided in 3 partitions, 56 GB, 72 GB and 32 GB.

When running FreeNAS 8 I think I should have another HDD, so I started running FreeNAS 7 by burning the ISO and booting the computer. I follow the instructions listed on this website.
Where (and when) do I have to partition my HDD? On this website I saw a calculation so I think I had to use that formula to partition my HDD.
But maybe first I had to format my HDD, before I partition it.

Who can help me and give me a clear advice?

Maybe I didn't tell you some details about my situation. Please ask me if I am not clear enough.

Stephens

Patron
You're not understanding things very well at all. You need more reading. FreeNAS 8 and FreeNAS 7 are essentially completely different products with only a name in common.

Why do you want to partition one physical drive into 3 logical drives? And why do you want to run FREENAS at all for such a small setup, especially one that seemingly will have no protection from drive failures. Exactly what do you hope to get from FreeNAS that you wouldn't get by just booting up the computer with Windows or Linux (or FreeBSD), partitioning as you want, then sharing the partitions?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're not understanding things very well at all. You need more reading. FreeNAS 8 and FreeNAS 7 are essentially completely different products with only a name in common.

Why do you want to partition one physical drive into 3 logical drives? And why do you want to run FREENAS at all for such a small setup, especially one that seemingly will have no protection from drive failures. Exactly what do you hope to get from FreeNAS that you wouldn't get by just booting up the computer with Windows or Linux (or FreeBSD), partitioning as you want, then sharing the partitions?

+1 - There doesn't appear to be any benefit to using FreeNAS over other solutions. It almost seems like you want to use FreeNAS "just because". All of the great benefits that make FreeNAS so great aren't being used.

demsley

Cadet
Why partition a drive in FreeNAS 8.3?

Why do you want to partition one physical drive into 3 logical drives?

I've just come to FreeNAS as it seems an ideal product for what I want but I *do* want to partition a drive so I can use plugins. How else can I create a Jail and a Software volume?

Or have I misunderstood the way to use Plugins?

I'm trying to create a MiniDLNA server as well as a backups server.

Cheers

Dave

Stephens

Patron
You've misunderstood the way to use plugins. Read the MiniDLNA threads here.

Status
Not open for further replies.