Pipped at the first hurdle

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyi

Dabbler
Hi Guys.

I do not consdier myself an internet noob, but for the life of me your img files won;t download.

Click on the link and it either loads a page thanking me for downloading, but no download starts or it opens an empty page.

Tried on chrome/safari OSX and chrome/Explorer on pc.

Would like to download please.

garyi

Dabbler
Thanks Mathias, the server appears to be networked with damp string, but it is at least downloading :)

Can't wait to give it a try.

garyi

Dabbler
OK, I am waiting to get beaten with a stick but here goes.

I have come from various other servers and NAS softwares trying to to settle on the final one. In each case I 'burned' the img to stic, put it in my proliant. Stick loads up to options for installing the software to where ever.

Freenas has simply booted from the stick, which is fine but not a solution. I want it on my internal drive. How do I do this please? All I can find is putting it on the stick, I've done that bit.

gpsguy

I'll leave it to someone else to flog you, especially since you asked for it. ;)

If you really want it on an internal drive, burn the ISO to a CD and do the install from it. I keep a portable USB CD/DVD drive around, just for cases like this.

Note, that since FreeNAS will take over the entire drive with it's four partions, put it on a small disk. If you install it on a disk larger than 4Gb, the rest of the space won't be usable with FreeNAS.

I want it on my internal drive. How do I do this please? All I can find is putting it on the stick, I've done that bit.

garyi

Dabbler
Yea sorry a bit more searching and I worked out to just dd to the drive which I have done.

I understand the argument that it takes the drive away so just use a stick. But there again I am sure many of us have a drawer full of old 80gig sata drives gathering dust. I just dont see the logic in using a flaky USB drive to run any OS no matter how low level. So anyhow I am up and running and just fight the CIFS service failing to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.