pi-hole docker image not working

silentbirdie

Dabbler
hello, I installed pihole on my truenas scale install today and everything went well. but the problem I am having is that after I switch my network dns to be piehole I no longer have any internet. I'm using a new asus router and i when I set the wan dns to the nas ip i don't get internet and when i set the lan dhcp dns to the server it doesn't block any adds. Would someone know what I am doing wrong here?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Would someone know what I am doing wrong here?
Generally speaking, you want to have the Pi-hole query your router, your router querying the Internet like normal... then point your clients (via either DHCP settings from the router or manually on each client you're interested in blocking for) at the Pi-hole.

If you point the Pi-hole at the router and the router back at the pi-hole, that's not going to get you anywhere.

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Generally speaking, you want to have the Pi-hole query your router, your router querying the Internet like normal... then point your clients (via either DHCP settings from the router or manually on each client you're interested in blocking for) at the Pi-hole.

If you point the Pi-hole at the router and the router back at the pi-hole, that's not going to get you anywhere.
so I should keep it as the dns in the lan dhcp server then could it be a propagation issue and i just have to wait for it to take effect and block adds? because I still have network access when I did this. (I'm currently working and can't try it again until after)

silentbirdie

Dabbler
It seems nothing on my network is using pihole and when I set the dns manually on my pc the internet won't work anymore when i point it to my pihole server. I set up the default docker app in scale, am I supposed to do something in pihole?

Attachments

• pihole not in use.png
    pihole not in use.png
    68 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

silentbirdie

Dabbler
I tried to set up dhcp in piehole but i then get this error and have no idea how to solve it I give up for tonight. i'll try again tomorrow

LarsR

Guru
I think someone else had the same Problem with the official app and if i remember correclty it was because Port 53 wasnt forwarded by Default, Rendering the App totally useless.
I'm using the truecharts App and it Just works.
Try the truecharts version. If it also doesnt Work it's a different Problem

silentbirdie

Dabbler
I think someone else had the same Problem with the official app and if i remember correclty it was because Port 53 wasnt forwarded by Default, Rendering the App totally useless.
I'm using the truecharts App and it Just works.
Try the truecharts version. If it also doesnt Work it's a different Problem
thanks for the heads up gonna try setting up the true charts version when I have the time and will come back.

truecharts

Guru
thanks for the heads up gonna try setting up the true charts version when I have the time and will come back.
Pihole from us is 99% "next next ok.", luckily :)

wili4m

Explorer
Pihole from us is 99% "next next ok.", luckily :)

same in here don't know why use official no client can connect, use default just click next next ...... done but still no client can connect to pihole server
but change to truechart use default setting client can connect.

Lipe123

Dabbler
Not sure what the deal is with the official version but its super frustrating and I cannot find any help or guides.
It's not listening on port 53 so how the heck are we supposed to tell routers/windows computers to use it as a DNS lookup if it cannot accept traffic on 53?
When I turn on the "Use host network" option it works but then I lose all access to the admin control panel.

For an "official" app this is disappointing.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
It just works for me. I have multiple pi-holes here so I can take one down for maintenance while the other is serving the network. Mine run on Raspberry Pis. I used Derek Seamans excellent pihole setup guide, which also enables the use of DNSCrypt so your ISP doesn't get to spy on your DNS queries either.

Then, the router has to be set up to redirect all port 53 queries to the pihole. I would allow your piholes to use port 53 to query external name servers even if you use DNSCrypt. If all queries including those of the pi-holes are redirected back to the piholes then that won't work either. So, the pi holes should have access to external name servers, no matter what.

All that doesn't stop DOH threats, but it does stop most ads.

Lipe123

Dabbler
Mine run on Raspberry Pis.
But we're specifically talking about running it as a docker app on Truenas Scale, not on baremetal hardware like a Raspberry pi.

I installed the TrueCharts version, the Networking setup changed since the guides there is no "simple" option, I used the "Load Balancer IP" option and just put the Truenas IP in there and everything seems to be working as intended now.

LarsR

Guru
I'm running the truecharts version for almost a year with no problems.
I learned not to touch the iX apps and rely on truecharts or my own config using the big blue launch docker button.

Daisuke

Contributor
there is no "simple" option
The simple settings are long time ago gone.
I used the "Load Balancer IP" option and just put the Truenas IP
Don’t specify the IP, that setting is if you want to use a different IP from default Scale. Leave the field empty.

Last edited:

Lipe123

Dabbler
Don’t specify the IP, that setting is if you want to use a different IP from default Scale. Leave the field empty.
Thanks for the info, is it possible to put something like that in the setup screen under the little "?" button or something?

The simple settings are long time ago gone.
A lot of "how to install pi-hole" guides still reference this. I couldn't find anything updated with the new options after quite a bunch of googling.

truecharts

Guru
Thanks for the info, is it possible to put something like that in the setup screen under the little "?" button or something?

A lot of "how to install pi-hole" guides still reference this. I couldn't find anything updated with the new options after quite a bunch of googling.

We offer lots of "advanced" options, if you don;t understand an option we offer, ignore it ;-)

Daisuke

Contributor
I installed pihole on my truenas scale install today
You should never run Pi-Hole on Scale, get a Raspberry Pi (or even better, two, fore redundancy) and run it there. If your Scale server is down, your network will be affected.
A lot of "how to install pi-hole" guides still reference this
Ask your questions into @truecharts Discord, they have stellar support, forget about the guides as they are outdated. Best way is to look at the actual Kubernetes chart questions and see what each option does, including the proper settings you should apply. You can provide useful information to developers by running this command and sharing the output (note that certain apps might still contain sensitive information into configuration, for example Plex token):
Code:
midclt call chart.release.query '[["id", "=", "pihole"]]' | jq -M '.[].config'

They will tell you what you did wrong. :smile: If in doubt or if charts are too scary, prior contacting them, start installing a new app and compare the default common settings, with your problem app. Then you will know the correct settings to apply, never rely on Internet guides. If you're not sure what to input into a setting field, ask on their Discord.

I'm going to open a ticket with iX Systems to have a button into UI, which will copy the contents of the above command. Is basic troubleshooting.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
Best way is to look at the actual Kubernetes chart questions and see what each option does, including the proper settings you should apply.

We generally do not advice users to look at the code, users already have trouble understanding the basic UI and there is a LOT of things there users shouldn't touch. More importantly, that's just the GUI rendering... that part doesn't actually do anything at-all ;-)

You can provide useful information to developers by running this command and sharing the output (note that certain apps might still contain sensitive information into configuration, for example Plex token):
Code:
midclt call chart.release.query '[["id", "=", "pihole"]]' | jq -M '.[].config'

Our support staff on discord are not necessarily our developers, when filing a support ticket it says what you should provide and when more is needed our staff will walk you through it. Please just follow the support procedures described when creating a ticket.

Support is just to get you going with solid configuration, by walking you through the GUI.

If in doubt or if charts are too scary, prior contacting them, start installing a new app and compare the default common settings, with your problem app. Then you will know the correct settings to apply, never rely on Internet guides. If you're not sure what to input into a setting field, ask on their Discord.

This, however, is solid advice :)

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Running pi hole on raspberry pis is overkill - mine always show sub-5% CPU utilization - yet it’s also the most popular SBC with a decent Ethernet interface (as of pi 4) out there. There are lots of guides, etc and the things just work.

To me, the bigger challenge is to gradually expand what each pi does to bring more features and redundancy to my network. For example, fitting my piholes, CA server, etc with RTCs clip-ons to function as local stratum 2 backup NTPs in case the the stratum 1s go down. IIRC, the CA also inherently benefits from a on-board RTC.

I’m unlikely to get to kubernetes + docker levels of sophistication. That’s simply too complicated for this old dog. Plus, I bought my pi 4s when they were still affordable.

Last edited: