Permissions issue

Hi there
I recently upgraded my server that had TrueNAS Scale installed on SD Cards to have a BOSS Card installed which is where TrueNAS is now installed.
However when I reinstalled TrueNAS, I thought I had a backup of my configuration which I apparently didn't have.
I imported my pool and was initially having issues with not being able to access my folders through SMB but now I am able to access them except for when I created folders for Handbrake. Trying to access that folder just gives me an error in Windows telling me I need permission.
I went into the ACL for the dataset and added my new user and set them to Full control but i'm still getting the same issue.
I'm relatively new to working with this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Permission 1.png
    Permission 1.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Permission 2.png
    Permission 2.png
    428.6 KB · Views: 58

chuck32

Guru
To get this right, you started from scratch, no prior config was imported?

Try again and set the checkmark at "apply permissions recursively"

If that fails, strip ACL, use a preset like Restricted and add your user again. Also set the checkmark.

Background is, I assume the files still have the old permissions set. When you make changes and do not apply recursively, they will not get updated.

A simple SSD would have also done the job instead of that BOSS card.

Thanks that seems to have helped the issue.
I got the BOSS Card for free I only had to buy some SSDs which I got reasonably cheap. 2x 512GB M.2 SATA SSDs for $50NZD each

chuck32

Guru
Personally I used up all my old SSDs I had lying around and for my second machine I picked up an intenso SSD 128GB for 15 bucks. 512GB is overkill for the boot drive.
Opinions may differ but as long as you have your recent config backed up, I don't see a problem.
Just make sure you have config backups in the future.

Glad to help!