Permissions issue - New install Freenas 9.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebznas

Explorer
Hi All

I just installed 9.2.1 onto an old Dell Dimension 3100c with an Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz CPU and 2GB RAM.

I have Freenas running from a rear mounted USB drive and an internal 2TB HDD.

The 2TB hard drive has been removed from my old Freenas server, I had it as a one off backup drive mounted internally so it has a copy of my media, music and general files on it.

After installing the 2TB drive into the new build I added the volume and setup the share as 'CIFS': /mnt/Media

I'm now trying to access this share from my Windows 8 PC but i keep getting asked for a user name and password by my Windows PC. I have tried the as yet unchanged 'root' username and password but this fails.

Can you help?

Permissions are not my strong point with non Windows systems.

Thanks in advance.

NickB

Dabbler
Not sure if root account works for access to cifs. But, I know you can go into the users and groups section and create a new user then apply permissions against the root volume or dataset you're using.

Even if root could be used, it wouldn't be ideal to use for security considerations.

If you use a Windows account with a password to sign into your Windows machine, if you create an account in FreeNAS with the same name and password, it'll make the connection seamless from Windows.

trebznas

Explorer
I just created a windows account on the Freenas unit 'firstname.secondname' and set the password, it didn't fix the problem.

trebznas

Explorer
I also jut set permissions on the volume, worked fine after adding myself and using the 192.168.xxx.xxx\firstname.secondname.

Hang fire though, I'll have a shed load of new questions. I'll guarantee the next thing I try won't work hehe.

trebznas

Explorer
Next issue then.

I want to make a mirror backup copy of my old server onto the new. When this is completed I'm stripping the old server and using it's internals for a new HTPC build. Hence my setting up the Dell for backup purposes only.

How should I backup the old mnt\media on my old server to the mnt\media on the new server over the network.

trebznas

Explorer
Hold on a second. Where's all my data !

I had nearly two terrabytes of data on the drive before I added it to the new Freenas server, I just checked in the mnt\media share and it's all gone.

Now I'm confused.

trebznas

Explorer
I guess I need to set up Rsynch to copy the data over my network from server 1 to server 2.

Can anyone help me set this up?

NickB

Dabbler
When you said earlier you created a Windows account on FreeNAS, it's technically a FreeNAS local account. Not sure why you can't do more if a SSO type of login - does your Windows machine require a password to sign in, or does it automatically sign in?

As for your data not being there on the recently mounted drive, did you create a new volume or did you do an import?

As for moving data, you can do a snapshot sync through the gui, rsync via the FreeNAS command line, our something more simple like just copying the data via the Windows machine. If you do the last one, connect everything over physical Ethernet, wifi would take too long. Not sure if your technical abilities, but the last one would be your best bet if you're not sure what the other two are.

trebznas

Explorer
When you said earlier you created a Windows account on FreeNAS, it's technically a FreeNAS local account. Not sure why you can't do more if a SSO type of login - does your Windows machine require a password to sign in, or does it automatically sign in?

As for your data not being there on the recently mounted drive, did you create a new volume or did you do an import?

As for moving data, you can do a snapshot sync through the gui, rsync via the FreeNAS command line, our something more simple like just copying the data via the Windows machine. If you do the last one, connect everything over physical Ethernet, wifi would take too long. Not sure if your technical abilities, but the last one would be your best bet if you're not sure what the other two are.

1. My Windows PC signs in automatically but I can now access the Media share.

2. I created a new volume if I remember correctly.

3. Snapshot I'll take a look at now. Rsynch I looked at earlier in the GUI but I wasn't sure where to start. Copy / Pasts via Windows will take 173.5 years to complete. Ok, maybe I'm over exaggerating a little.

trebznas

Explorer
I just looked at snapshot, that won't work as I can't reference a remote server over the network.

I had another look at Rsynch and I really don't understand how to set it up.

If the only solution is to do a copy / paste then I may as well not use Freenas and buy a 3.5" USB drive caddy. I can then plug it in the back of my HTPC and back it up that way I think.

trebznas

Explorer
Ok, I Just took the 2TB hard drive out of my Freenas box then put it in my Windows box. The drive is not showing in My Computer or the disk manager.

How do I make Windows 8 see the hard drive.

NickB

Dabbler
The snapshot option works just as long as the two servers can see each other. Are the two servers on the same network?

If you created a new volume rather than doing an import, you might have wiped all your data.

And just saw, but the server you were targeting is a bit low on memory (minimum recommendation is 8 GB).

What's your overall goal? Or are you good with everything?

And if you put the drive in Windows, when you go back to FreeNAS, it more than likely won't be in the ZFS format, but rather NTFS. FreeNAS does read and works with NTFS, but I don't know if it's really supported.

The copy and paste option for 2 TB over gigabit Ethernet in decent hardware should that less than eight hours.

Add for rsync, did you look over this: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_tasks.html

Status
Not open for further replies.