SOLVED permission problems in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
i had two pools which i had setup with unix permissions which had been working fine for years. i watched the videos here - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

i thought it would be a simple matter to change the permission type to windows and use my windows 7 workstation manage the permissions. i right clicked in windows on the \\freenas\Storage\ and clicked on the security tab - under Group or user names was - Everyone/Unix Group/FREENAS. i was able to remove the Unix Group and change the permissions.

the problem is with the Working pool i have the same Group or user names - Everyone/Unix Group/FREENAS but when i try to remove Unix Group i get an error (The parameter is incorrect)
the three users have special permissions and if i try to edit the permissions i get an error (The parameter is incorrect)

hopefully somebody will be able to help

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't remove users/groups if you want to give them permissions...

ethereal

Guru
i want to remove the unix group because i've changed the permission type to windows in freenas. also when i try to edit the everyone or freenas permissions i get an error.

i was able to do this on the Storage dataset but not the Working dataset.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
i want to remove the unix group because i've changed the permission type to windows in freenas
No, that's not how it works. It's still a Unix group.

ethereal

Guru
so what do i have to do destroy the dataset and start again ? - that seems mental

and it still doesn't explain why i can't change permissions

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
so what do i have to do destroy the dataset and start again ?
No. Windows is simply aware that the group on the server is a POSIX group, not a Windows group. The permissions themselves are what Windows expects. Just ignore the "Unix" part.

ethereal

Guru
you're missing the point -
No. Windows is simply aware that the group on the server is a POSIX group, not a Windows group. The permissions themselves are what Windows expects. Just ignore the "Unix" part.

i am ignoring the unix part but i still cannot change the permissions for Everybody or FREENAS. i cannot edit the permissions for Everybody or FREENAS or Unix

that is why i need help not because i can't delete Unix but i cannot change any permissions on the \\freenas\Working share

thank you

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Presumably, you locked yourself out by removing the group. Reset default permissions in FreeNAS and try again.

ethereal

Guru
how do you reset default permissions?

ethereal

Guru
i ran winacl -a reset -r -p /mnt/Working

still have the same problem can't edit permissions

ethereal

Guru
i hope it helps.

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20170717195202.tgz
    561.5 KB · Views: 342

ethereal

Guru
i think i've solved the problem i noticed on one of your guides " if you have been mucking around with permissions prior to taking these steps, you may need to umap any network drives and clear cached / saved credentials."

i tried a different windows 7 machine and i was able to delete the Unix group and edit the preferences for Everybody. I'll have to add the FREENAS\guest - i presume when we reset the permissions it was removed.

there is still a problem with my main windows 7 - i'll search how to clear the cache / saved credantials and try again.

ethereal

Guru
i cleared the stuff unmapped the drives and rebooted - everything is perfect.

when i get a chance i'll watch some videos again and read your tutorials

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
i cleared the stuff unmapped the drives and rebooted - everything is perfect.

when i get a chance i'll watch some videos again and read your tutorials

No problem. Most of that material should also be in the FreeNAS docs. Sometimes learning how permissions work in Windows / FreeBSD can feel like you're playing a game of Calvinball. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.