Periodic Snapshots have stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I realized a few days back that I haven't had a snapshot since December 23rd. I rebooted the NAS hoping that would get it going again. No luck.

I don't see any errors or obvious reasons for them to have stopped. The task is still there and looks accurate.

What should I try? Should I delete the snapshot task and create a new one? Will that still overwrite the old snapshots created by the original snapshot task?

Thanks!
Matt

D

dlavigne

Did you perform an update around that time?

Anything related in /var/log/messages?

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Yeah, I think there was an update somewhere around that time. Updated to 9.10.2, I believe.

I don't see anything that I recognize as being related to the snapshots in the log, but I'll be honest, 99% of it is gibberish to me. :-D
I've attached the log file from the 23rd-31st in case anyone feels froggy and can catch what the problem may be.

I see some warnings here and there.

The only real problem I have run into since that update (other than the snapshots) is that on the first reboot after the update, the mobo gave 5 beeps. Googled around on it and it was supposedly a problem with (I'm paraphrasing) no input or interface device. Which seemed like it was indicating I had no keyboard, but it has IPMI. I had never gotten that error until that last update. If I reboot again, the beeps go away. It did it again when I rebooted when I saw the snapshots weren't running. Rebooted again and the beeps went away.
I had zero beeps or issues in the time before that update. It had been running smooth as silk.

Thanks!
Matt

EDIT: From the user manual, the 5 beeps indicate:
No Console Output Devices are found
No Console Input Devices are found

Attachments

• 23rd.txt
    46.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Yeah, I think there was an update somewhere around that time. Updated to 9.10.2, I believe.

9.10.2 has a bug related to periodic snapshots, leading to delayed execution for some users and to no execution for others (depending on the schedule). This error has been fixed for 9.10.2-U1.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/19754

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Ah okay. Well, it's good to know I'm not alone, I suppose.

I see U1 isn't due out until February. What should I do in the meantime?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I see U1 isn't due out until February. What should I do in the meantime?

Reverting to the boot environment you used before you updated to 9.10.2 might be the easiest way to get periodic snapshots working again.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Reverting to the boot environment you used before you updated to 9.10.2 might be the easiest way to get periodic snapshots working again.
Reverting to the old boot environment got the snapshots going again. Unfortunately, it also erased all my old snapshots. :-/
Which is also making for a daunting offsite replication. Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.